Reclaimed lumber question
I did a search but I can't seem to find an answer so I will ask.

I have some original growth southern yellow pine some times call heart pine. (I did't know what I had originally!) This wood came from a building that was torn down. The pieces I am working with are about 2 3/4 inch thick. And very heavy. I am rebuilding 4 stools that I made a while back and want to cut the thickness down some. Maybe down to 2".  Resulting in a little less weight. The base for the stools are the same material. The total weight for each stool is around 50 pounds.

I have tried my power hand planner and it seems like it will balk when trying to plane the wood. I do not have a re-saw setup and yes I could take the pieces to a shop that has one. But the seats are about 18 by 25 inch's and very sappy. I am concerned that I might have to purchase a commercial re saw blade to have this done for me.

I have tried to use a 7 1/2 inch slow speed sander with 36 grit paper and it gums up in 15 to 20 seconds. I also tried a 4 " wide belt sander with the same results. I am at a loss.

The only option I see at the moment is to get an electric chain saw and cut the seats with that. After that then do the best to sand out the saw marks.

Is there anyone here that might have some suggestions for me? I would really appreciate it.
Do you have a router? Wide flat bit would be the way I'd attack it.

or fasten a board to each side and use a dado on a tablesaw.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(07-26-2016, 12:37 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Do you have a router?  Wide flat bit would be the way I'd attack it.

If you aren't into using a jack plane/scrub plane, then this is a good alternative.

One of a zillion videos on YouTube showing a possible method

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I thought I might show what I am working on
[Image: reclaimed%20stool%20top%20-%20002_zpsmhfnaxyo.jpg]

[Image: reclaimed%20stool%20top%20-%20001_zpswfvcbaxh.jpg]

(07-26-2016, 12:37 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Do you have a router?  Wide flat bit would be the way I'd attack it.

Yes I do, actually two of them. I guess I wasn't even thinking about that! DUH

It would not take me to long to come up with a jig either. Thank you so much for refreshing my memory.
We love to share the great ideas we've stolen from someone else in the years past!
Big Grin

Which is why Woodnet is so popular
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I guess the photos I shared were not posted properly.?

Just for the record, at this point I have 5 different projects going. A coffee table and end table out of a stump cross section of white oak, a new larger version of a walnut table top for our kitchen, a couch side stand for my granddaughter, a head board for my daughter and a blanket chest for my wife.

oops that is 6 projects.
[Image: reclaimed%20stool%20top%20-%20002_zpsmhfnaxyo.jpg]
You now have the project crying out for a new tool to buy. It would be a waste to plane all of that down and only have chips to show for your efforts. I would ditch the sander idea. A hand plane would be faster.

My recommendations:

Bandsaw

or

Handsaw
WoodTinker
(07-29-2016, 11:25 AM)WoodTinker Wrote: You now have the project crying out for a new tool to buy. It would be a waste to plane all of that down and only have chips to show for your efforts. I would ditch the sander idea. A hand plane would be faster.

My recommendations:

Bandsaw

or

Handsaw

Is there no one in the vicinity who could resaw the wood for you?  It does seem a true waste to turn it to chips and sawdust.  My 2.5 cents.
I tried the router method and it did work. However I am going to have to get more bits as the carbide 1/2" 1 " diameter bit clogs quite easily. I will finish up the first seat and my next idea is to slice the thick wood into two less thick pieces with an electric chain saw I just purchased.