CFI help - please
There is a GFI in my garage which controls all the outlets near sinks on the north side of the house.  Recently it has started popping with any sort of load.  For 10 years now it's had a refrigerator plugged into it without issue.  Now, plug in the fridge and it pops instantly.  It's doing it with a brand new, much smaller unit.  Nothing else plugged in in its control loop except for some idle battery chargers and they do not make it pop.  Only other thing I can think to add is that the temps have at or about 100° during all this.

Should I assume a bad GFI or are there other diagnostics I should run?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I'd just replace the outlet...
Yeah, they can go bad. Inexpensive and easy to replace.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Once they hit a point of age and have a lot of trips on them, they seem to become more and more sensitive. I had a very similar situation, and replacing in kind with a new GFCI solved the issue.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams
they can go bad.  replace it and see if the new one has issues.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

The codes call for a NON GFCI for fridges/freezers.
CFI or GFI?
Which is it?
It is GFI just mistyped cfi in the title.

Everyone in this 2000 home development has a GFI strategically placed to plug in a garage fridge.  Not sure anybody is aware of, or cares about, the code.  

Gentleman, I want to thank you all for your help.  I'll get a new GFI and hope that my meager skills are sufficient.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I don't know what you are looking at but I imagine you have a single duplex receptacle in a single box.  If I am right I would consider installing a 4 square box sticking in a single plug for the fridge isolated from the GFI that I would put in the box next to it
http://www.mrsupply.com/product.php?prod...=0&page=20

[Image: YW2G1DC1SR_m.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(07-27-2016, 06:41 PM)cputnam Wrote: It is GFI just mistyped cfi in the title.

Everyone in this 2000 home development has a GFI strategically placed to plug in a garage fridge.  Not sure anybody is aware of, or cares about, the code.  

Gentleman, I want to thank you all for your help.  I'll get a new GFI and hope that my meager skills are sufficient.

Make sure the power is turned off before you monkeying around with electricity.
It is nothing to be messed with if you don't know what you're doing.
You'd rather be safe than sorry.