Table base completed
So the progression started with a picture on the internet. That went to some cardboard and duck tape to start getting an idea of proportions. Then I made one from 1" blue foam board. In this whole process there were also multiple posts here asking questions. After that I had an idea what I wanted. I used hardboard to start making templates. First I did the feet. Once the feet were made I figured out how I wanted the long curve to go. I made several templates before I found what I was looking for. Once those were roughed out I could figure out the small arc. The length of my trammel pretty much determined that arc. I wish I could figure out sketchup better but in the end I usually only have an idea and rough drawing on scratch paper.

From the picture on the internet I noticed pins above and below the joints. I figured these were some kind of pinned mortise and tenon. I knew a milled tenon on these curved pieces was above my pay grade so I opted for some kind of floating tenon. Making a slotted mortise also seemed too difficult so I then decided on 3/4" dowel. Made a jig to hold the bottom of the curved pieces perpendicular to the bit on a drill press and drilled the holes.

I debated how much to ease the corners. The wife opted to just have them knocked off with a sander. When I sanded the piece I did hit the corners pretty good. They are not as round as a router would have done but they are not sharp at all. It is interesting that growing up my father always warned me to be careful sanding the edges so as not to round them over. Now everything I make I am sure to hit the corners to break that sharp edge. This make the finish better and feel more comfortable without the sharp edge.
Nice design.  I spent several minutes thinking about the joinery.  I'm certain I would have to resort to painting as well.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Very Kool, nice job.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
(07-29-2016, 12:19 PM)Bope Wrote: So the progression started with a picture on the internet. That went to some cardboard and duck tape to start getting an idea of proportions.

I'm familiar with this type of modeling
Big Grin

It ended very well, nice base.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Very elegant looking design and you need kudos for sure. I'm still on mildly tapering straight legs and getting them all in the same plane vertically, let alone around a corner through the woods and to grandma's house we go!
Nice looking stand, I bet that was fun figuring out the angle of the dangle, great job.

Steve
Really nice!
Great base!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
that is amazing work .. nice job
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand