older rigid 18v nicad tools
ok, so i've got a set of 18v rigid tools, with the nicad batteries.  i've already replaced 2 batteries, and don't wanna replace 'em again, unless i can switch to lithium.

from what i read, the 18v lithiums ARE compatible with the older tools  --  does anyone know for sure if that's true??   :huh: 

pretty sure i'll be buying at least one battery to try it out, but the curiosity's got the better of me till i'll be able to do that.  
Big Grin 

thanks!  
Cool
I don't know for sure but initially I would say; why wouldn't they? As long as the lithium battery case can be accepted by your tool it should work, shouldn't it?? All they are is a power source just like flashlight batteries.
The issue isn't that the battery wont play nice with the tool, unless there is some special circuitry in the new battery packs that need to talk to the tool.  The issue is that the new lithium batteries don't play nice with the old chargers.  Nicads and NIMH batteries charge at a different rate than lithium, and if you were even able to get a lithium pack into an older charger, you could risk a fire.   That is why for the most part, they don't fit either the tool or the charger.  

The only brand that I think makes a lithium battery that fits its older tools is Ryobi. And I'm guessing that they still need a new charger to go with the battery and probably have some way of keeping the new batteries out of the old charger.
Yes they are compatible with the tools but you will need to get a new charger designed to charge the lithium batteries. I just bought a new drill with two lithium batteries and charger as it was cheaper than just buying two lithium batteries and a charger.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
(07-29-2016, 06:44 AM)AlanBienlein Wrote: Yes they are compatible with the tools but you will need to get a new charger designed to charge the lithium batteries. I just bought a new drill with two lithium batteries and charger as it was cheaper than just buying two lithium batteries and a charger.

What he said. Course I haven't seen a working nicad for over 4 years now. They typically have a two year lifespan. 

I have a bag of ridgid 18v nicad Era tools in the garage and it's not worth buying new battery's for. Just get a new combo kit as new batteries on a worn out tool aren't a big improvement. At this age they should be tossed in the trash which is where mine will be going as the tools aren't worth anything.
(07-29-2016, 12:24 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: ... At this age they should be tossed in the trash which is where mine will be going as the tools aren't worth anything.

Don't toss them in the trash! The nickel and cadmium in NiCad is nasty stuff when not disposed of correctly. All big box home improvement stores have disposal/recycle bins for rechargeable batteries whether they are separate or embedded in a tool (or cell phone). It will be disposed of properly. Ditto for CFL bulbs.
(07-29-2016, 12:24 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: What he said. Course I haven't seen a working nicad for over 4 years now. They typically have a two year lifespan. 

I have a bag of ridgid 18v nicad Era tools in the garage and it's not worth buying new battery's for. Just get a new combo kit as new batteries on a worn out tool aren't a big improvement. At this age they should be tossed in the trash which is where mine will be going as the tools aren't worth anything.

My nicads lasted 7 plus years before they gave up.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
Switch to the LiIon batteries and charger. I did and I noticed much longer run time and quicker charge. I have several of the old blue Ryobi tools running on the LiIon, In fact my little 5" circular saw runs much better with the new batteries.
Regards, Tod
(07-29-2016, 12:24 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: What he said. Course I haven't seen a working nicad for over 4 years now. They typically have a two year lifespan. 

I've got nicads well over that age, one that I labeled 2012 and it still does a reasonable job.   I think the decision whether to go with new tools or new batteries really depends on how deep you are into a certain brand.  I have all Bosch, lots of 14.4 and some 18 and if I were to try and replace them it would cost a fortune.  Of course some I bought for really cheap as second hand; a reciprocating saw, hammer drill, jigsaw as well as several drills, impactor, etc.  For me it is cheaper to go buy a battery now and then and keep the whole lot going.  If I was using them day to day as a contractor or for major projects around the house then I might think different, but I can get by just cycling the working batteries as I need them.  YMMV
I was in HD the other day and a sign said that the Rigid tools are guaranteed for life and the sign included the battery. I would take the tool in and talk to them. It seems to me that they should replace the whole thing if they can't replace the battery.

It would probably be cheaper to buy a new tool and get the newer batteries and a new charger than it would be to buy two batteries not to mention the charger even if the batteries fit if things can't be worked out.

It costs nothing to check. You will probably have to go to HD to get new batteries anyway.

Tom