The Great Bandsaw Adventure - The Final Chapter
Last I left you the BS was resting against some cleats I screwed to the 2x6's runners.  With that accomplished, we were able to disconnect the chain fall and reattach it to a lift eyebolt at the top of the machine.

[Image: Hw11D3hocq-0miUtf1cZWZksJldpfCCiffdTfjz-...71-h628-no]

Nearly home now, we lowered the machine until it hit the concrete floor, then shimmied down to it.  Ken pushed and I pulled and we stood it upright, mission safely accomplished.

[Image: ifYsxRRJUfwo4vwQuJ3hk2pSE10iRCc05NnqXavl...28-no?.jpg]

We called it good and Ken left.  A few minutes later I realized I needed to take a project out of the basement today so the saw had to be moved.  Installing the mobile base around it turned out to be surprisingly easy, and my wife and I did it in about 5 or 10 minutes.  I tipped the machine and she slid in a pre-assembled half of the base, then we did the other side.  It really went smoothly. 

[Image: Ue-hOpoZLeEvyCSiC55s0Joc9Flr21vIVJRG6cJb...71-h628-no]

That Shop Fox mobile base only lifts the machine about 1/2", which allows it to still fit under a standard 80" door.  Very thoughtful consideration in the design of the saw and base.  

[Image: etX_pt3c-pzPvY_iT294dskps7qWfJGyK8a_DXDU...71-h628-no] 

The only damage to the machine was to some paint on the top of the base on the backside.

[Image: e3uiDXzqoF_TI8YzHPZAyJlke6q6-tM3fSpFG95Y...38-h628-no]

We found it when we removed the crate and plastic.  The plastic had not been ripped so it must have occurred at the factory, before packaging.  I called Grizzly this morning, as much to tell them so they might improve their inspection before shipment, as anything else.  The Grizzly folks were very pleasant and quickly asked if I would like a can of touch up paint.  Why yes, thank you very much.  I should have it next week - no charge.  I have to say, the whole buying experience with Grizzly, delivery by UPS Freight, and follow up call to Grizzly went very smoothly.  I would not hesitate to buy another machine from them. 

OK, I wheeled the machine into what I think will be its final location.

[Image: SBWook0_ih9aCXkUYjOwjUQdFRv7dUVHoLYmlulC...71-h628-no]

This morning I put the parts I had removed back on.  That process gave me a real appreciation for how well this thing had been designed and built.  It's incredibly robust and the fit and finish as very, very good.  I forgot to check if the wheels are co planer, but I bet they are.  The saw looks to be everything I wanted.  The blade guides work easily enough, and the guide post goes up and down silky smooth.  Same for the table tilt adjustment. Everything fits together properly and moves easily.  

[Image: 6uxpyjrQJZOaHRyWMvADaKDcrEITb1wTU1rRSiUK...28-no?.jpg]

[Image: vG2T7RVQg01NA8Slm05VJgw_K8dNQSgVlPRafSZu...28-no?.jpg]

[Image: orsmnsI_0XmUgfBuz90zM-iGYCVzP4jX_wXwvBAX...28-no?.jpg]

I hope you enjoyed the adventure.  I have to wire the machine up and run some hoses to the dust collection system before I can turn it on.  Whoever made the comment if I was going to fire it up while it was still in the garage,  I wish I had seen that before I had moved it - but I'm sure it will be fine.  

I should have it running by next week.  I bought a Lennox Woodmaster CT 1.3 tpi blade for it, too.  I'm looking forward to cutting some 12" oak with it. 

My 14" Delta is looking nervous, but I told him I'd never get rid of him.  He's getting a 1/4" blade now - for which he's very happy.   

Thanks for following along.  If you get the idea of getting a big, heavy machine and taking it down your basement stairs, please be careful.  I felt very safe with what I did, but I only did it after very careful planning.  And I had a great partner in the process.  Actually, I had two, Ken Vick and my wife. 

Thanks a million Ken and Monika.  

John
It is good to see a plan come together.

Smile

I don't suppose you have a closer pic of the tensioning adjustments and the tension spring? 

I blew up the pic as much as I could but it was hard to tell what I was looking at.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I do now. 

[Image: 2qDJhZNCTi3vggfpvCe0OQbdLZAFKfd88ddIicYE...28-no?.jpg]

[Image: sRr1NVMVi3L6Y9SvE8Qo7FV6vuqyniW9XzFXpSG9...71-h628-no]

I'd guess the spring wire is about 3/8" in diameter. Note the cable, also, which is how the tension indicator works.  And at the top is the cam that connects to the tension quick release lever on the back.  

[Image: Dh1nssnfOHqhfegb6J-zUDPW4cH8Qg1jRElFBYdO...28-no?.jpg]

The tension screw is an acme type thread, as are the ones that raise and lower the upper guide bar and table tilt rack. 

John
That is really a humdinger of a saw, that tension mechanism is serious business.

And I'll say this: If someone intentionally kept the saw+mobile base under 80", they deserve some sort of award.
thank you John
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Wow, that was some process, getting that saw down in the basement. It's obvious you really thought out all the details and got it down in one piece. And I think you're right, that's about as big as you could get down those stairs and around the corner.

My Lenox blade came in but I haven't had a chance to put it on yet. My new Joiner is arriving today and I will finally have a functioning shop.
I had to read all of your posts 3 times. Now that is interesting and took a lot of thinking on your part. Great job, thanks for the pictures.

Tom.
John,

That's how I got my saw down the stairs into my basement workshop. Scary, but it worked like a charm. Those are heavy beasts, even with the motor and table removed.
Nice looking saw!

Hank
Frigator, I hope the new jointer arrives in good shape and works without issue.  Show us some pictures when you get it uncrated and into the shop. 

And I'm pretty sure you are right - this BS is the largest that will go down my cellar stairs - unless I remove the wall opposite the stairs.  Hmm....

John

(07-28-2016, 11:15 PM)JGrout Wrote: thank you John

My pleasure, Joe. 

John

(07-28-2016, 10:04 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: That is really a humdinger of a saw, that tension mechanism is serious business.

And I'll say this:  If someone intentionally kept the saw+mobile base under 80", they deserve some sort of award.

Could be just luck, but I think it was a conscious design feature to keep it under 80".  It might just be an evolutionary thing, where earlier saws wouldn't fit and they got enough feedback that it got put on the new design objectives list.  However it happened, I was happy it did. 

John
Great job, John and nice looking saw. I knew it would bring out the engineer in you!

Doug