Bosch Miter Saws
I need to purchase a new miter saw and one that I am considering is a 10" or 12" Bosch Glide (Sliding) Miter Saw. I have read mixed reviews about their ability to make consistent accurate cuts on wider boards. I would like to read some comments from those that own the Bosch miter saws with the guide mechanism. Thanks
(07-29-2016, 11:06 AM)Freewoody Wrote: I need to purchase a new miter saw and one that I am considering is a 10" or 12" Bosch Glide (Sliding) Miter Saw. I have read mixed reviews about their ability to make consistent accurate cuts on wider boards. I would like to read some comments from those that own the Bosch miter saws with the guide mechanism. Thanks

I have the Bosch 12" glide saw. In my opinion, it is the best saw out there. I've used Milwaukee, Dewalt, Hitachi and Makita. None of them compare to the Bosch. It is solid and accurate. I did very little to calibrate it straight out of the box. The only com[plaint is the weight. If you have to move it from the shop in and out of a truck, it's a beast. But, because of the weight, it's solidly built. I even have the factory blade and get really good cuts. Once this blae gets dull, I have some better ones to use. I've used it to cut some monster size crown molding. The settings are easy to read when you lay the crown flat on the table and do a compound bevel/miter cut. Worked flawlessly.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(07-29-2016, 11:06 AM)Freewoody Wrote: I need to purchase a new miter saw and one that I am considering is a 10" or 12" Bosch Glide (Sliding) Miter Saw. I have read mixed reviews about their ability to make consistent accurate cuts on wider boards. I would like to read some comments from those that own the Bosch miter saws with the guide mechanism. Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I have admired the 12" Bosch for a while and when I have to replace my DeWalt, Bosch is my first choice.  No actual experience yet.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I recently upgraded (about a year ago) to the 12 inch Bosch articulating saw.  It replaced a old Craftsman RAS and a DeWalt 705 compound miter saw.  Because of the weight the Bosch has become a permanent fixture in the shop.  I put a negative hook, fine tooth blade on the Bosch saw and the Bosch factory blade on the DeWalt.  I'm very happy with the performance and accuracy of the Bosch.
The DeWalt is now the saw that get hauled around to the jobsites.
Look around if not in a hurry. Menards had the 12 lower priced than the 10 a while back, plus it was also a 11% off week. Matters not if you have Menards nearby, if they can afford to do that so can others.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(07-31-2016, 09:43 PM)Steve N Wrote: Look around if not in a hurry. Menards had the 12 lower priced than the 10 a while back, plus it was also a 11% off week. Matters not if you have Menards nearby, if they can afford to do that so can others.

About an hour ago, I received a SlickDeals alert that the Bosch 12" Dual Bevel Compound Miter saw is on sale thru Amazon for $383 and free shipping. It's one of their better saws.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
(07-31-2016, 10:30 PM)Gregory of Sherwood Forest Wrote: About an hour ago, I received a SlickDeals alert that the Bosch 12" Dual Bevel Compound Miter saw is on sale thru Amazon for $383 and free shipping. It's one of their better saws.

That's not the glide. Bosch also makes a slider which is what you are pointing to. Steve has it right, Menards has the best pricing on them, at certain times I have seen them for about 500.
I got my SIL the Bosch GCM12SD 12 in. Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw for Christmas and he loves it. Everything was dead perfect right out of the box and has stayed that way. I've got a Bosch 10" slider that LOML gave me in '98 that is still running like the day I got it. One minor but nice thing about the new saw is it's ambidextrous. My SIL is left handed and had a slight issue using my saw but none with the new one.
"73 is the best number because it's the 21st prime number, and it's mirror 37 is the 12th prime number, whose mirror 21 is the product of 7 times 3. Also in binary 73 is 1001001, which is a palindrome." - Nobel Laureate, Dr. Sheldon Cooper
As someone pointed out, Bosch saws are HEAVY.  I have the DC 12" and IIRC it weighs 64 lbs.  Unlike others, nothing was perfect out of the box, but it has stayed that way after I adjusted everything.  I bought it partially based on reviews that said it was perfect out of the box.  Maybe my definition of perfect is different, but still.

The rotating table on mine is low compared to the side frame.  I think this a common issue with all Bosch saws.  It can cause problems when doing high precision work.  I get around it by laying a sheet of plywood over the whole bed when I need to make super accurate cuts.  You would think Bosch would have make sure the entire bed is flat.  

If you plan to use this only in the shop, well, weight probably doesn't matter.  But if you intend to take this thing to job sites, I'd strongly consider something lighter.  An alternative would be to permanently mount it on a rolling stand, but you still have to get it in/out of your vehicle and up/down stairs. 

One pleasant surprise was how well the stock blade cuts.  Mine came with a Bosch 60 tooth blade.  I thought I'd have to replace it immediately to do fine finishing work, but I was wrong.  It cuts trim beautifully, even large handrails and crown molding, and it stood up to an entire deck's worth of Ipe' before I got it sharpened.  After sharpening (by Dynamic Saw in Buffalo) I swear it cuts even better than new.  I put a Diablo 96 tooth blade on it while the blade was out for sharpening.  Pathetic.  The saw barely had enough power to cut through 4/4 hard maple, and it burned on bevel cuts.  Very disappointing.  

John
I have the 12" glide mitre and I echo most sentiments.  Great saw, very accurate, easy to use, heavy.