need recommendations
Question 
When trying to turn a peppermill (see my previous thread) I find I have some runout in my spindle (JWL 1220). I will order the spindle, but where can I buy quality bearings?

Thanks, Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
Anyplace selling bearings.  Go by the numbers on the originals, and buy up a grade or two. 

Turn between centers for your peppermills.  Mandrels are the way to go.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-29-2016, 02:50 PM)MichaelMouse Wrote: Anyplace selling bearings.  Go by the numbers on the originals, and buy up a grade or two. 

Turn between centers for your peppermills.  Mandrels are the way to go.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what mandrels do you mean? I know about mandrels for pen turning.

Rick
Any government that robs Peter to pay Paul, can always count on the support of Paul!
MAGA!!
(07-29-2016, 07:04 PM)scpapa Wrote: Please excuse my ignorance, but what mandrels do you mean? I know about mandrels for pen turning.

Rick

Mandrel is a mandrel.  https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=man...&FORM=IGRE  Tapered turning arbor to wedge into the hole you made on the DP, and provide you with a real center. Some old fools even use bolts with home-turned sleeves for centering rather than tapers.  If the front end's wandering, use the mandrel at the other end, screwing into something like the Nova centers with attachables.

LOTS of times the runout is an illusion caused by the center point drifting under stress. Make sure you need to change the spindle by making a good test unloaded. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tes...&FORM=VDRE Bad bearings can give runout, too, and they generally growl about it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(07-29-2016, 07:04 PM)scpapa Wrote: Please excuse my ignorance, but what mandrels do you mean? I know about mandrels for pen turning.

Rick

One of the turners in our local club makes a lot of peppermills and who often teaches the club mill class. He uses a pen mandrel to turn peppermills.

I was a little heavy-handed with a skew when I took the class and had to replace my mandrel shaft and tightening nut. I bent the shaft and stripped the threads in the brass nut.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-30-2016, 02:22 PM)iclark Wrote: One of the turners in our local club makes a lot of peppermills and who often teaches the club mill class. He uses a pen mandrel to turn peppermills.

I was a little heavy-handed with a skew when I took the class and had to replace my mandrel shaft and tightening nut. I bent the shaft and stripped the threads in the brass nut.

Thanks for the responses; I'll investigate using a pen mandrel.
This forum is great!!

Rick
MAGA!!
You should be able to get premium bearings for the same price or less than the standard bearings from Jet. Take the bearings with you to your local bearings supplier. They will be able to match them and perhaps suggest the best option for a quality replacement. The replacements I did that with on my Jet mini far outlasted the factory installed bearings, and I believe are still going strong on the lathe that is now owned by someone else.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo
I bought SKF bearings and everything is fine, except the on-off switch is on the fritz, again.
I was able to get it working and I ordered a new one.
Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Rick
MAGA!!