What to use on old tools
After you clean old tools what do you use to coat the tool with to protect against flash rusting. I have used 3 in one oi, boiled linseed oil, Kramer antique inprover and wd 40. Just like to hear what people are using. 
Also on outdoor tools axes shovels and hoes?
Thanks so much 
Smile
Johnsons paste wax. Then again, I don't use chemicals to clean.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I use synthetic oil after using the tool. On saws and planes I'll use some Johnson's paste wax before using the tool.
WalterB
(07-29-2016, 05:16 PM)Jack in omaha Wrote: After you clean old tools what do you use to coat the tool with to protect against flash rusting. I have used 3 in one oi, boiled linseed oil, Kramer antique inprover and wd 40. Just like to hear what people are using. 
Thanks so much 
Smile

I use CorrosionX HD. Nothing I have ever used this on has ever rusted - including all my saltwater fishing gear. I spray the stuff on a microfiber cloth and use that to wipe down my tools. Cloth gets stored in a canning jar so the volatiles do not flash off.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(07-29-2016, 05:16 PM)Jack in omaha Wrote: After you clean old tools what do you use to coat the tool with to protect against flash rusting. I have used 3 in one oi, boiled linseed oil, Kramer antique inprover and wd 40. Just like to hear what people are using. 
Thanks so much 
Smile

Johnsons paste wax and sometimes WD40.
Thanks so much 
Smile

Mostly 3 - 1 oil on moving parts and the sole of the plane ( this is in the can like Paul Sellers   use's ) and Johnson Paste Wax.

Steve
Boeshield
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Ballistol.
Mike

Funny on occasion, embarrassing on average.
The oil that Japanese woodworkers use.  Doesn't do much, but I like it.

Oh, and Johnson paste wax on stuff that doesn't get used that much
(07-29-2016, 05:29 PM)Admiral Wrote: Johnsons paste wax. Then again, I don't use chemicals to clean.

Ok so I have an old can of Simmoniz floor wax. Is that ok or does Johnson car wax have some other special additives? Thanks for the replies. or turtle wax for cars?