Electrolysis for rust - charger problem
I have a couple of old planes that I would like to fix. They're grimy, dirty and rusty, so I decided on using a battery charger for electrolysis. I've done it before on something else, when I had an old fashioned battery charger. 

My new 'smart' charger refuses to do this, so I went out to buy a simple one. Guess what - they don't exist anymore. 

Can someone give me a hint, what to buy, possibly where, or what I could use as an alternative?

Thank you!

Dietrich
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo (Sinatra)
Must be a garage sale or 6 within a few minutes drive of you. I see them pretty often amongst the junk that's usually displayed.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(07-30-2016, 06:18 PM)dspeer Wrote: I have a couple of old planes that I would like to fix. They're grimy, dirty and rusty, so I decided on using a battery charger for electrolysis. I've done it before on something else, when I had an old fashioned battery charger. 

My new 'smart' charger refuses to do this, so I went out to buy a simple one. Guess what - they don't exist anymore. 

Can someone give me a hint, what to buy, possibly where, or what I could use as an alternative?

Thank you!

Dietrich

Try soaking them in regular Coca Cola.

Vic
“Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen,”. Winston Churchill.
(07-30-2016, 06:18 PM)dspeer Wrote: I have a couple of old planes that I would like to fix. They're grimy, dirty and rusty, so I decided on using a battery charger for electrolysis. I've done it before on something else, when I had an old fashioned battery charger. 

Thank you!

Dietrich

[Image: img_2462-medium.jpg?w=300&h=225]Just something where you can chose the charging rate and or voltage manually. I use one similar to this.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
Check this out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsear...ry+charger
BAT

A man wearing a helmet defending our nation should make more money than a man wearing a helmet playing games!
I DID find a manual in my local hardware store. It'll work.

Thank you all for your input!
To do is to be (Camus)
To be is to do (Sartre)
Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo (Sinatra)
I was going to suggest the Freight too. But sometimes those local HW stores are better for "old school" items than even a more dedicated store is, just like you've found.
Benny

I use a generic 12 volt power supply I got off e-bay.  

Looks like this...

[Image: ps1-40w-sl12-0.png]
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Go for PC (personal computer) power supply from any used PC or hardware store. They call it ATX. to crank it, jumper the green wire with any of the blacks or better install a switch. 3.3V wires are orange; +5V wires are red; -5V wires are white; +12V wires are yellow; -12V wires are blue; ground wires are black. Make your combination. Plenty of power for the cheap, thanks to mass production!
If you can't fix a mistake, change the design!! Few will notice, even less will mind!!
How timely.  I just hooked up that exact one.  I'm also using graphite plates now instead of rebar.  It's working better than ever.

(08-01-2016, 10:10 AM)bennybmn Wrote: I was going to suggest the Freight too.  But sometimes those local HW stores are better for "old school" items than even a more dedicated store is, just like you've found.

(08-01-2016, 11:17 AM)Mr_Mike Wrote: I just hooked up that exact one yesterday.  I'm also now using graphite plates instead of rebar.  Works better than ever.

I use a generic 12 volt power supply I got off e-bay.  

Looks like this...

[Image: ps1-40w-sl12-0.png]
John: Struggling along with a "piece of junk" table saw