Cat Scratch Fever
So my current house is about 40 years old and has been home for the previous owner's cats as well as mine. All of them seemed to really like the doug fir door trim. Our last one, Izzy, used it like a drum every night. She is in kitty heaven now and I am left to repair her destruction. Many of the trim boards have scratches that can be covered with stain because the trim is dark and my eyes are not so sharp. Two of the boards, however, are destroyed. The picture does not do them justice--they are much worse in person.

[Image: IMG_3857.jpg]

I could not find any doug fir so I opted for some clear pine. Several coats of Minwax Red Mahogany got me real close. Here is the before of the worst one. Notice the sheetrock scratches.

[Image: IMG_3800_1.jpg]

After a shot of satin clear coat, it was time to hang the trim. Here is the money shot.

[Image: IMG_3856.jpg]

Now I am off to stain the rest. NO MORE CATS.

PS
Here is a shot of the culprit. Sometimes being pretty gets you a hall pass. She was no exception.[Image: IMG_1171.jpg]
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Nice job on the match.

A few years ago my daughter came home with a cat. It must be the only cat in history to actually use one of those cat scratching posts and nothing else. 

I think the cat must have ESP and knows what will happen if it deviates from it's current scratching habits. 

Twinn
Will post for food.
Yeah bare wood is an invitation for them to scratch up. However painted they don't mess with it. Could be worse you could have dogs and have everything destroyed and slobbered a pooped on. I think I'd rather just repair a few trim boards.  

We have a couple cat trees and they love them. 6 cats and none scratch or tear up anything but they do like to play with rugs though. The cat trees that costco have are pretty nice in fact cheaper and way better than the junk ones at the pet stores. I used to build but the price of carpet alone is nearly the price of the whole tree and that's getting remnants. And getting that super thick pile carpet is hard to do these days.