Grandson's Idea of a Dining Table/Cherry
[Image: afb5995b-773e-4b06-b1d1-2b358ac87ff0_zpsugl2q90a.jpg]
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

Wow, hefty!
Whats the plan for a base?
Ed
What kind of sander is shown in the picture. It may be an optical illusion but the hose looks huge.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
(07-31-2016, 02:57 PM)EdL Wrote: Wow, hefty!
Whats the plan for a base?
Ed

Here is a link to the plan: http://imgur.com/a/Nsxi9  I don't like it because the legs trap the top and that's a lot of wood to shrink or swell. The wood is gorgeous but one 10" piece has slightly twisted and we're letting it sit with clamps on it to see if it calms down. 

The sander is a Porter Cable and the hose is about 1.75" OD. It pushes onto one of the rings in the sander outlet. I can't remember where I got the hose. I use it on my table router, too.

www.theborkstore.com

(07-31-2016, 10:06 AM)BacsiBob Wrote:
Grandson's Idea of a Dining Table/Cherry

[Image: afb5995b-773e-4b06-b1d1-2b358ac87ff0_zpsugl2q90a.jpg]

This is how the post read for me.
Slap <-me

We really need a better separator between the post and the sig.

That is a really nice start on the dining room work table.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(07-31-2016, 03:33 PM)BacsiBob Wrote: Here is a link to the plan: http://imgur.com/a/Nsxi9  I don't like it because the legs trap the top and that's a lot of wood to shrink or swell. The wood is gorgeous but one 10" piece has slightly twisted and we're letting it sit with clamps on it to see if it calms down. 

That table would look good  in mesquite... and based on what I've done with mesquite over the past 20 years, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do it exactly as posted in your link (and may do so because I really like the look).  I'm not even sure I'd worry too much about movement with anything else because the shop environment is probably as big as it's gonna get.  I can't see where contraction would be destructive the way the legs are attached.

Also, since the photo essay shows a link to the original that he 'reverse engineered'.  That was done by an experienced woodworker, and wasn't a one-off.  You won't sell too many $4k dining tables if they're gonna fall apart.
(07-31-2016, 04:30 PM)KC Wrote: That table would look good  in mesquite... and based on what I've done with mesquite over the past 20 years, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to do it exactly as posted in your link (and may do so because I really like the look).  I'm not even sure I'd worry too much about movement with anything else because the shop environment is probably as big as it's gonna get.  I can't see where contraction would be destructive the way the legs are attached.

Also, since the photo essay shows a link to the original that he 'reverse engineered'.  That was done by an experienced woodworker, and wasn't a one-off.  You won't sell too many $4k dining tables if they're gonna fall apart.

Wood was acclimated in a/c shop and was said to be 6% when we got it. I think i read in the photo essay that he did not glue the cross apron tenons to allow for exp/cont. The legs are glued and screwed to the top. 

We'll see how it goes. I'm still willing to learn and having the young muscles around is a nice bonus. He's a great "kid" and treats our granddaughter like a queen.

www.theborkstore.com

Love this pic
Big Grin

[Image: IMG_20140411_130958_500_zps79d88124.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Interesting support structure design, I'm sure it'll look great when finished.

Looking forward to the finished project.

Ed
I think it will look great when he finish's it, will be anxious to see final result.

Steve

(07-31-2016, 09:38 PM)Steve N Wrote: Love this pic  
Big Grin

[Image: IMG_20140411_130958_500_zps79d88124.jpg]

Love it, that is cute !  My Daughter has a Golden Retriever ( big lap dog ) that likes to do that as well and loves riding in the car. The little female Pug lets him know who's Boss though 
Big Grin

Steve