Received Grizz G0609X jointer
Some of you may recall I ended up returning a 8in jointer due to some motor alignment issues and ended up ordering a new bigger jointer. For my trouble Grizz waived the 275$ shipping fee for this new machine. I had to wait a couple weeks but it arrived Friday. 

This jointer, unlike the 8, came in one piece...in one crate, essentially assembled. Just needed to put on the fence and cutterhead guard. There is no shopfox mobile base for this machine so I threw together a simple plywood base with casters so I could move this thing around. It was easy to just roll it off the pallet onto the mobile base with some 1/2in pipe. 

This is my first attempt to post pictures with the new software so bare with me.

[Image: IMG_2233%201_zpsxhsrvhmy.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2228_zpsisztp2e3.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2225_zpsm7obcezv.jpg]
Nice!
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
It was obvious someone had been over this machine for me as it was set up almost perfectly. Fence was square, tables aligned...all I had to do was set the outfeed table as it was a touch too high. I had read in one of the manuals its best to have a cutter touch your straightedge and move it 5/32 when you turn the cutterhead. So I tried that and no snipe, perfect square cuts right out of the box. So am very happy with the machine so far. 

The fence on this thing is huge...almost 4ft long...longer than the one on the 16in jointer. So all's well that ends well and I hope this jointer continues to impress. 

[Image: IMG_2248_zps8ayjxq1b.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2243_zps7cusj4qu.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2234%201_zpstg9qcjij.jpg]

Oh, and one more thing. The crate base was made of metal, really impressive, never seen that before. Going to hand onto it awhile just in case. 

[Image: IMG_2240_zpsxrbhp0wh.jpg]
Man, that's nice!  How big is your shop?
I was thinking when I was looking through the pictures that that looked like an impressive pallet! I'm glad I'm not the only dork that notices stuff like that.

Congrats on the new toy!  You going to leave it on the mobile base or was that just to get it into position? I put my 12" jointer/planer (jet) on a mobile base I kind of regret it now. I very very rarely move it, and the wheels are kind of in the way since the base cabinet is convex. But alas it took 3 of us to get it on there and I don't want to hear the ribbing I'll get if I have the same folks come help me take it off!
-Marc

(07-31-2016, 02:57 PM)frigator Wrote: move it 5/32

.005 is not 5/32 which is correct
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(07-31-2016, 06:29 PM)JGrout Wrote: .005 is not 5/32 which is correct

To clarify, I think you're saying 0.005" is correct, yes?  I was also thinking 5/32 is a LOT.  It's 1/8" plus another 1/32".
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-31-2016, 07:14 PM)AHill Wrote: To clarify, I think you're saying 0.005" is correct, yes?  I was also thinking 5/32 is a LOT.  It's 1/8" plus another 1/32".

Taken from the manual of the Grizz "Ultimate 8" jointer" :

Tip: Some advanced woodworkers have found that they can virtually eliminate snipe by setting the outfeed table in the following manner: Repeat Steps 1-4 using a freshly exposed insert. Then lower the outfeed table slightly so the insert lifts the straightedge off the table. Place a ruler next to the straightedge and rotate the cutterhead, watching how far the carbide insert pulls the straightedge. Adjust the outfeed table and recheck until the straightedge only moves 5 ⁄32".

And my shop is small, only 480 sq ft.

(07-31-2016, 06:12 PM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I was thinking when I was looking through the pictures that that looked like an impressive pallet! I'm glad I'm not the only dork that notices stuff like that.

Congrats on the new toy!  You going to leave it on the mobile base or was that just to get it into position? I put my 12" jointer/planer (jet) on a mobile base I kind of regret it now. I very very rarely move it, and the wheels are kind of in the way since the base cabinet is convex. But alas it took 3 of us to get it on there and I don't want to hear the ribbing I'll get if I have the same folks come help me take it off!

I am going to eventually take it off this mobile base cause its too high. I want to move it around and find the best spot. So may take it off or leave it on a lowered mobile base.
So the straight edge is moving across the table by 5/32", so correct to me.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
That is one heavy looking machine you have there.  Your grand kids will be using it someday if they develop an interest in wood working. 

John