What disston saw is this
(08-02-2016, 08:36 PM)Jack in omaha Wrote: What is plate depth?
It is a H. Disston & Son medallion.
I was wondering if the etch will come if I keep working it. 
I am not very patient. How can you tell if the etch will appear?

If you can get a hold of some gun bluing, apply that to the part where the etch is, then wipe off.  The bluing will highlight any faint etch.  Don't keep polishing. That will only make the etch disappear.  The handle looks well-worn.  I like handles like that.  They are smooth and feel great in the hand.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I believe it's a Disston American Boy. Typically 20" long & 9ppi I think.
Take care,
Daryl
Thank you.
I agree with Daryl.  If it has wheat carving in the handle, most likely an AB.  I have a couple, mine have wheat carving.  I could not see it earlier.   E.
i have a d 8 and a d23 that looks more like my d 23 oh i paid a singe buck for the d8 at a flea mkt
south vietnam war collage
It looks like a D8 blade but I doubt it is unless it has a new handle. The handle is not a D8. They are totally different. #8s are very uncommon and had a straight back with a nib.

"H. Disston and Son" was only used from 1865 to 1871. The skew back D8, which is I believe the first skew back blade that Disston offered, was not made until the late 1870's.

The picture is hard to make out but it may be a "Keystone" saw from the 1930's.

Have you looked at:

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com

I have no idea what it is but I think you can rule out a D8 or  #8. Can you see any writing on the blade?

Mark