Unmarked Plane -- Who's the Maker???
I found this very nice adjustable block plane but have no idea who made it.  It looks like a Lie Nielsen, but there are absolutely no markings I can find.

The overall size is 1 3/4" wide x 6 3/8" long
Blade 1 3/8" wide
Nickle chrome cap
Bronze adjustment wheel

Very heavy casting

Any ideas?

Here's some pictures.

[Image: Mystery%20Block%20Plane_zps2bkevb0t.jpg][/img]

[Image: Block%20Plane%20Mystery%20004_zpshorlg9xt.jpg][/img]

[Image: Block%20Plane%20Mystery%20005_zpseaxbfnup.jpg][/img]
(08-02-2016, 03:08 PM)gregbois Wrote: I found this very nice adjustable block plane but have no idea who made it.  It looks like a Lie Nielsen, but there are absolutely no markings I can find.

The overall size is 1 3/4" wide x 6 3/8" long
Blade 1 3/8" wide
Nickle chrome cap
Bronze adjustment wheel

Very heavy casting

Any ideas?

Here's some pictures.

[Image: Mystery%20Block%20Plane_zps2bkevb0t.jpg][/img]

[Image: Block%20Plane%20Mystery%20004_zpshorlg9xt.jpg][/img]

[Image: Block%20Plane%20Mystery%20005_zpseaxbfnup.jpg][/img]

Looks like it could be a Lie-Neilsen.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

To my guess it's a LN clone made by Quiangsheng. They make a lot of LN clones for several brands with different quality. If it was a LN, the casted body would tell it probably. I never came across a LN Block Plane without the casted maker's mark.

Klaus
+1.  Woodriver, or a chinese clone. LN would never put out a plane without its name on it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks!  I'm guessing that's the answer.
Interesting: it looks like a substantial casting, but the bedding for the iron, from the photos, appears to have grooves in it.  Is the bedding as irregular as it looks?

No reason why it shouldn't be a good plane, if the machining was done well, although installing a replacement iron, if the delivered iron is not a good one, might/would require cutting the adjuster slot.
What Klaus said...  Scroll about 0.75 down this web page...
LN uses a bronze cap, this one is nickel plated.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-02-2016, 04:36 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: Interesting: it looks like a substantial casting, but the bedding for the iron, from the photos, appears to have grooves in it.  Is the bedding as irregular as it looks?

No reason why it shouldn't be a good plane, if the machining was done well, although installing a replacement iron, if the delivered iron is not a good one, might/would require cutting the adjuster slot.

I think the lines you see in the bedding are made by the milling machine end mills. But I could be wrong.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(08-03-2016, 07:54 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: I think the lines you see in the bedding are made by the milling machine end mills. But I could be wrong.

Likely so; the question, in terms of use, is whether these lines are actual ridges.  If the bed is smooth, the milling marks are unimportant; but if the lines are ridges in the bed, that's what the iron will be resting on.