Damascus steel knife
This has been the most complicated knife project I've attempted. Overall I think it turned out well, but much room for improvement is found in the mosaic pins, though this was the first time I've attempted to make my own.

Wood is African blackwood and afzelia burl. pins and spacers are brass. Mosaic pins are brass tubing, copper wire and steel piano wire. Satin lacquer finish.

[Image: 600x600.jpg][Image: 600x600.jpg][Image: 600x600.jpg]
Cellulose runs through my veins!
(08-02-2016, 05:50 PM)SteveS Wrote: This has been the most complicated knife project I've attempted. Overall I think it turned out well, but much room for improvement is found in the mosaic pins, though this was the first time I've attempted to make my own.

Wood is African blackwood and afzelia burl. pins and spacers are brass. Mosaic pins are brass tubing, copper wire and steel piano wire. Satin lacquer finish.

[Image: 600x600.jpg][Image: 600x600.jpg][Image: 600x600.jpg]

Good looking knife, nice job.

Steve
That's very nice, the burl and Damascus complement each other. Well done.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

wow is that ever nice .. talented man..
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand

Steve

You can really crank out those knives and as usual, beautiful work!
Thanks for the compliment, but I started this one weeks ago. I set it aside until I could get some drum sanding sleeves on order to be able to work on the contouring.

I find making the handles for knives satisfying since it takes me many weeks or months to do furniture, sgemented turning or intarsia projects. I have one 800 piece intarsia project I started two years ago sitting on a workbench waiting for me to get off my arse and spend many, many hours sand-contouring 800 pieces. Knive projects help me get that sense of accomplishment.

Not sure what I am going to do with them though. I suspect I am just suffering from MMTB.
That looks amazing Steve. I'm pretty inspired now. I bought a few damascus steel blades last year that I've been meaning to make handles for. I really like what you did there.
Thanks, Jim. This is where it's really nice to have a plethora of awesomely figured species to choose from. I look forward to seeing your finished project.