Lathe Height
How high is your lathe. I have a small PennState lathe and the centerline is about 2" above my belly button. Almost seems a bit high. Is there a recommended height? 

I mostly do spindle turning for furniture parts.
It seems like the rule of thumb is to have the spindle center line around your elbow height.

For my arms, 2" above the belly button is close to elbow height.

If you use gouges a lot, you might like it a bit higher.

If you use scrapers a lot and like having them in a drop-nose type cutting angle without grinding the nose down, then you might like it a bit lower.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Elbow height is a good 'average'. I prefer mine a bit higher. I also use scrapers a lot, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. I do tend to hold gouges level when using them, so higher is better. If you like the dropped handle style, then a bit lower is better. If I did a lot of hollow forms, then I would want it higher yet. Mostly you want to avoid having to bend over to turn. Really hard on your back.

robo hippy
Mine's in about the same place as yours.  Since I use my tools with the handle somewhat below the nose, matching the the slope of the palm, works out great.  Pretty much the same answer since recommendations were made in the woods of High Wycombe.   You'll want to cut above centerline on convex, and below on concave work.  Not great distances, just enough to prevent "catches"  and keep shavings out of your face.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I think everyone I have heard says elbow height when your arm is bent at a 45 degrees.  However, I know of others say they learned at another height wither lower or higher and now they stick with that.  I first learned in a wheel chair and that was below elbow, but now that I have been out of one for a few years and with a bigger lathe it is at elbow height and it is comfortable.
When my arms get heavy I just stop turning and go in the house.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
An included angle of 45 degrees transfers a lot of tool support from the rest to your elbow.  Too high and fatiguing for me.   An angle of 135 degrees is easier on your elbow, but might interfere with wrist "English."   Consider as you experiment that you're looking for a compromise, not a size to fit all.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.