Formica backsplash demo
    My older kitchen is a continuing renewal project. I am removing formica counter/back splash and finding that glue stays with the drywall. The back splash area is about 4 inches high. Any suggestions on a good/safe means of removing the glue? It is possibly contact cement. . . .
I'm about to do this I think, what are you replacing the formica with? I doubt my drywall is really appropriate for tile, so I'm probably going to cover it or replace it. Or maybe I can just tile over it, haven't looked into it yet.
In my house, I'm guessing there is a skim coat under the glue so I would just take that off.  I usually try mechanically removing, then sanding, then chemicals.

Sorry for the unhelpful post
Our plan is simply to paint down to the counter top. No backsplash.
(08-04-2016, 11:16 AM)Stove M Wrote: Our plan is simply to paint down to the counter top. No backsplash.

Is this the forever house?  If not, I'd expect no backsplash at all would turn off a great many buyers if you're at all concerned with that.
Probably subfloor adhesive or a panel adhesive. Not likely any type of glue,especially contact cement. I'm assuming the laminate is on a substrate,not just glued to the wall.
In either case the drywall will come off with the back splash. Cut the drywall above the backsplash and remove the drywall with the laminate.
Replace the drywall with new and tape.
mike
Scrap what you can and then cover it with the new backsplash. No need to remove all of it just anything that'll mess up the new backsplash.
I've done a fair amount of this over the years. The Glue just will not come off without damaging the paper cover on the drywall.

What I do now is just cover it with drywall mud, one coat of setting mud, carefully troweled so no sanding is needed before topping with premix.  May have to repeat, but sand to a good finish and paint.
I've successfully applied tile directly to the drywall a number of times with no issues. I can't imagine not having some type of backsplash. Even a 1" x 4" in whatever material your cabs are is better than nothing and is easy to do.
All of the replies are much appreciated. Just to be clear, the backsplash is formica that I'm wanting to remove. sm
This may not be of use, but many adhesives (like contact cement and some construction glues) will soften with heat. You might try a heat gun (I'm thinking a hair dryer won't cut it) on an area and see if it softens it enough to get most of it off. You can probably rent one cheaply enough if you don't have one.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.