Dust Mask's
I posted down in Woodworking with hand tools to find out thoughts on the R2 Mask or does anyone have a recommendation that won't break the bank.?

Thanks !

Steve
Steve "the bank" might just be a relative term. Especially if you first go price a new set of lungs, or eyes. Sometimes folks just want protection for general health, and here a nice N95 or N100 mask with 2 (TWO) straps is ok, if used with some safety googles to also protect your eyes from chips, and fine dust. Both lungs and eyes share vulnerability to both chips and fine dust. My $$$$ says if you are going to protect one, just do the other as a good practice.

[Image: 4-pack-3m-8210-plus-n95-dust-mask-partic...227545.jpg]

Uvex makes some dandy goggles that also have good no fog abilities, and some are large enough to fit over all but the biggest pairs of glasses. Amazon has a lot of them.

I have access to lower cost respirators because of my work, so I wear a 3M 7800 which is a full face respirator, and it automatically takes care of lungs, and eyes.

[Image: 5b.jpg]

If you have had an allergic response to a wood, or have a Cardiologist, or Pulmonologist who says you must protect yourself from dust or else. Pay attention to that, and I would think the full face respirator is going to keep eyes and airway clear, you may also have to wear long sleeves and maybe even special blends if you have a sensitivity.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I bought my first rough sawed wood, jointer and drill press from a retired basketball coach in the little town I live in.  He had made grandfather clocks since his retirement.  He was about 70 and selling his stuff because he couldn't breath and was carrying around an O2 tank.  Seeing him was an epiphany to me, and since that time have taken dust protection very serious.  Do not scrimp on dust protection it could come back to haunt you in 20 years.
I recently got an Elipse Low-Profile Dust Respirator from leevalley and like it a lot better than the 3m I had.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.as...2207,43647  Fits very well and can were with face sheild and glasses.
Bob
[Image: 91u9pufsDjL._SX466_.jpg]
About $1.25 a piece
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Particulate-Re...B00KCM4BUG

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

Thanks for the reply's everyone this helps. I do wear safety glass's and been buying some of those paper mask's which don't fit tight IMO, and was looking for something a little more substantial . I know some of the best can  be $$$$ which unfortulantly I simply can not afford, but spending $25 - $50 in that range is doable.

I have seen a couple video's where people were wearing the R2 Mask which looks nice and light but I wanted to see if any of my Woodnet friends has seen or used one.

I missed all this year in the shop due to health issue's and on the mends and can't wait to get back in the shop in a few more weeks.

Thanks again !

Steve
I use a chemical respirator with dust filters.
There is a drain for condensation, but the mask dries out better than the paper masks. The paper masks smell bad after a few uses. With a better seal and bottom vent, the chemical respirator doesn't fog my glasses up. These respirators are cheap. I don't remember what they cost, so it can't be bad.

[Image: 07179.jpg]
Usage Instructions  
3M™ Dual Cartridge Respirator Packout 07179, Organic Vapor/P95, Large
  • Part Number: 07179
  • UPC: 00051131071797
  • Stock Number: 70070797769
Includes the 3M™ Low Maintenance Half Facepiece 07026 (large), 1 pair organic vapor cartridges 07046, 1 pair filter retainers 07054, and 2 pairs of P-95 filters 07194.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http://3mcollision.com/products/safety/masks-and-respirators/reusable-masks-and-respirators/3m-dual-cartridge-respirator-packout-07179.html][/url]
(08-05-2016, 05:01 AM)Window Guy Wrote: I do wear safety glass's and been buying some of those paper mask's which don't fit tight IMO,

Steve were these single strap deals, or did they have a double strap? World of difference on them staying where you want them. The one PG pointed out is a good one. It's a 3M 8210, which like the one I posted comes in a variety of slightly different looks, all are quite functional for fine wood dust.

I also wanted to double back and remind you this entire idea of wearing a dust mask when you are working with the fine dust from sanding, pretty much anything with MDF, and similar are still only a further step to having functional dust collection on any tool in your shop as well. IOW you can't be too safe with your respiratory health. It's not an if it will harm you, simply a when it will harm you.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Don't bother with anything less than P100 filters. The N95 are little better than nuisance dust masks since they allow the the particles that are most damaging to the lungs. Also, if you do a fair amount of finishing with solvent based products, having an organic filter is a must.  Half face respirators with those filters are not very expensive.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
How do you like wearing the full-face respirator? does it fog up inside? Does it let sweat come through? That's what always gives me trouble wearing safety glasses and a dust mask.. I tend to get sweaty when I work, and it drips into my glasses, and the dust mask ends up getting all foggy