What is a da?
came across a entry saying to sand 180 with a da I am not familiar with this term?
What is a DA?
Probably dual action sander.
I think a DA is usually an air powered sander.  Way too aggressive for woodworking.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Yup dual action air sander for body work, basically a bodywork random orbit sander with adjustable orbit. They are for much finer work than a random orbit sander. Often used with very fine sandpaper grits compared to woodworking. IE very slow stock removal. I have used mine on wood and it just doesn't work well as it doesn't have enough torque.
We use DA's all the time where I work depends on the grit of the paper how aggressive it is.
ok thanks to everyone he was speaking on using it to prepare shovel handles for blo
A little history, as I understand it: The DA originally built by Chicago Pneumatic, was an air powered sander with the ability to be locked so that it was rotary only, or unlocked to allow randorm orbits.

That allowed a bodyman to grind off paint, lead or filler really quickly, and roughly as a rotary sander, then switch to random orbit for surface prep.

The term has come to mean random orbit to a lot of people, but IMHO, that is inaccurate.

The CP version hs been copied by many makers in the same configuration, which has a rear, horizontal handle, while most ROS only versions are palm samders.
lil

Dual action probably is correct, but as often it will also stand for Depth Adjustment, but if it is about how to sand, likely you already had the answer.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW