Lacquer or poly over Watco Danish Oil
I just finished a flag case (long overdue) for the flag my mother-in-law received when my father-in-law passed away. He was a Lieutenant Commander in the Navy. I used walnut and applied Watco Danish Oil because I love how it makes walnut look. I want a semi-gloss finish and was going to spray it with lacquer, or use a wipe on poly. The can says to wait 72 hours befor applying a top coat. But I've heard other say to wait a week or more. The anniversary of his death is coming up on August 13th and I'd like to give it to her then. I'm not applying but one application of oil, so is 72 hours enough time for it to dry safely? Also, would poly or lacquer be better for this time frame? All advice appreciated; this is my least favorite part of woodworking! (-:
Paul
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
You should be fine at 72hrs with the Watco as long as you didn't have puddles. I have not used lacquer but from what I hear here it should be fine. I would not use an oil base poly especially on the inside. The smell may take weeks to go away in the enclosed space. A waterbourne clear of shellac would also work.
Maybe a coat of shellac on the inside would protect the flag? That was something else I was concerned about.
"Some glue, some brads while the glue dries, and that's not going anywhere!"
Norm
72 hours is plenty, and I seldom wait even that long.  Wipe right after your first coat, then a couple more times the next couple hours because walnut will 'bleed' for awhile.  If you miss some and it dries, 0000 steel wool will clean it up.  I always use steel wool anyway before the topcoat.  For something like  flag case, a can of Deft will  just fine... quick and easy.
I jumped the gun and used some Arm-R-Seal over danish oil after only a two day (48 hr) wait, and regretted it. It never cured.

I used mineral spirits to clean the surface. Then I waited 72 hrs before trying again.
Bill Schneider