Interesting sawstop problem
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/aw.pl?read=798760
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I am surprised this even made it to a public forum (well two now)

Cannot wait for the responses
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Its not a shock to me. Electronic parts fail. Heck, circuit breakers fail more than people think. 

I worked for a circuit shop for 5+ years in multilayer stuff, really technical, and saw the craziest failures (it was actually my job for a number of years to isolate WHERE the failure was, and to microsection it, and find visual evidence. Literally finding a needle in a haystack stuff). Even military stuff. I always wondered how many cycles the circuity in SS are rated for. I mean off and on for years and years.....they will fail. Its just a matter of time.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

As many as they have in service, I'm  surprised this is the first time anyone has had that happen. Electronics can do strange things. It will  be interesting to see what happens.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Does this happen with NON Sawstops?

And where did the smiley faces go???

Sounds to me like what we call in my world a "sneak circuit".  Something fails, and it provides a new path for the current with attendant unexpected results.  I hope they contacted SawStop and that the root cause is identified and fixed.  He's fortunate the blade only rotated a couple of times vs. starting up full speed.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-06-2016, 01:30 PM)AHill Wrote: Sounds to me like what we call in my world a "sneak circuit".  Something fails, and it provides a new path for the current with attendant unexpected results.  I hope they contacted SawStop and that the root cause is identified and fixed.  He's fortunate the blade only rotated a couple of times vs. starting up full speed.

I had one of those once.

The wire in the heating element in my icemaker failed (broke) and then contacted the outer tube forming a circuit of sorts. Didn't know about it (other than no ice) until I went to open the refrigerator and had my hand on the microwave.

The shock pretty much dislodged all my fillings and killed the microwave. It was a first gen Amana radar wave oven which were pretty robust.

It took me a while to figure it out, but the guy at the appliance parts placed said he had heard of it before.
chris
bizarre.

I always unplug my tablesaw whenever I go to change the blade!
I have no idea why anyone would post about this on a forum.  Lock out/tag out, cut the power cord, nobody touches the saw until sawstop says what to do.  Ok, post on the forum after you do all that.
(08-08-2016, 11:08 PM)EricU Wrote: I have no idea why anyone would post about this on a forum.  Lock out/tag out, cut the power cord, nobody touches the saw until sawstop says what to do.  Ok, post on the forum after you do all that.

You post this as a PSA to alert others that there may be a problem and to be careful.