Interesting sawstop problem
(08-08-2016, 11:08 PM)EricU Wrote: I have no idea why anyone would post about this on a forum...

Isn't the point of a forum to share information and discuss issues that may concern any or all of us?
Confused
Confused
EricU sounds like he doesn't want posts that would be detrimental to Saw Stop even though there could be a dangerous problem.
If anyone is following this, you might check ruffcut's link to the latest replies posted. Someone named "Steve" from SS has been quoted in there, and I guess the problem has been corrected...but apparently not diagnosed.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
don't know what the problem was, but we fixed it by replacing everything that it could be.

I dunno, good for them getting it fixed, but was this a one off problem, or do they have a bigger issue that could possibly affect other owners who could get hurt?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

True, that...seems like in this case the better approach would have been to give them a whole new saw, get the faulty one into the shop and start solving things.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
or send a tech out to check out the saw.  Or at least send the old components back to sawstop so they could examine them (which maybe they did)

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

They aren't perfect
Confused  
Confused  
Confused  
Confused  
Confused  Tell me it ain't so..................

I've been around a bunch of TS's in my day, and never has one self started, goodness that could be dangerous. I wonder in this distressed state if the finger Nanny works?

(08-10-2016, 10:44 AM)meackerman Wrote: don't know what the problem was, but we fixed it by replacing everything that it could be.

I dunno, good for them getting it fixed, but was this a one off problem, or do they have a bigger issue that could possibly affect other owners who could get hurt?

Mark, I've said since day one that some day they would make a shipment of blade pincers that would be goofy, and Gassbag would need a good Lawbird to defend him from the backlash. There is no company that doesn't occasionally make bad parts, especially electronic ones. He has built this as infallible. Gonna fall hard. Unfortunately it will be other people taking the hit.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
So does this mean all series 1 saws could be bad? I dont even own a hotdogstop and i think the response from sawstop left a lot to be desired. I guess when the guy said it could be a pain for the customer...

no one knows, at least from the OP's link.

Could be a one off problem, could be an underlying problem.

I would bet its either a one off problem or a very very rare one, or I would think we'd heard about it before.

Mark

actually, when I made the post above, I was forgetting the contents of the guy's question.  My point was that I would do whatever SS told me to do, and not really ask random strangers on the internet what to do.  But the fact that they just wanted to have him swap parts until the saw was no longer dangerous probably would have had me on the internet asking for advice as well.

When I was doing field support engineering, one big problem we had was that almost nobody would send us dead parts. I never worked in one of the field organizations, but I don't think there really was anything stopping them from doing that, but they would just order a new one and dispose of the old. In SS's position with this saw, I would have done anything to get those old parts back, up to and including giving the guy a replacement. Can you imagine the sawstop-storm that would result from one of these saws injuring someone? Lawyers would be suffocating from being in front of the crowd of lawyers trying to get to the guy's door. Easiest money ever.