NEW QUESTIONS ADDED!! Adding 220v to my garage, can I use outdoor 10/2, and how?
I bought the 10/3 NM WG. Prices were actually more inconsistent than I expected. Sutherlands was about $10 cheaper than HD, which was about $8 cheaper than Lowe's. This was for a $100 ft roll.

I also got the circuit breaker, one of the 220v 40A mini doubles. I'm running out of room in the boxes for more circuit breakers, but the electric guy told me that we were being very conservative on the use of the amperage and we could easily combine a few of them to make space in the future, if needed. Heck, our lawn lamp and shed each have their own breakers, and the shed power never gets used. The porch outlet also has its own breaker and there's only one plug out there on the 20A breaker. We also have an outlet up on the roof for powering holiday lighting on its own breaker. Kinda crazy, eh?
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
Thumbs Up 
Sounds like yer plan is coming together
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

You will have to tie the 2 breakers together most likely,  The use of a common neutral is no longer allowed in the current code without being tied together.  Still can be used for what you want to do.  Dan
(08-20-2016, 06:05 PM)rudedan60 Wrote: You will have to tie the 2 breakers together most likely,  The use of a common neutral is no longer allowed in the current code.  Still can be used for what you want to do.  Dan

Can you explain this to me? I'm not sure what you mean.
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
My Mistake, I reread your post.  The statement was for 2 120V circuits using a shared neutral, and not the 240V circuit you were adding.  I faced this issue a while back as I am doing some rewiring and have several circuits that I have to tie together.  I am always trying to learn and stay current.  Dan
(08-07-2016, 12:53 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I think it's what Mr. Mike said: Romex isn't allowed in conduit, and you do want it out of the way.

I agree that is what he said, but I'm not aware of any restriction against NM-B (e.g. one brand is "Romex", the cable is NM-B) in conduit.  Around here, NM-B is commonly run in conduit for protection in basements and garages.  Meets code, passes inspection, not an issue or question.

(08-07-2016, 04:10 PM)Mr_Mike Wrote: NM has to be protected,  but can't be in  conduit.

I'm curious where you are getting this restriction.  Is it a local requirement in your area?  Can't find that restriction in NEC, and NEC seems to encourage it in the notes on tables.  It's common practice to run NM-B in conduit in areas where I have lived, and no one has even raised a question.
(08-24-2016, 12:45 PM)geek2me Wrote: I'm curious where you are getting this restriction.  Is it a local requirement in your area?  Can't find that restriction in NEC, and NEC seems to encourage it in the notes on tables.  It's common practice to run NM-B in conduit in areas where I have lived, and no one has even raised a question.

The source of the confusion is due to conduit fill. There are no fill tables for NM-B. And if you use the fill numbers for the individual wires, you get the wrong answer.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
(08-24-2016, 05:57 PM)GHR Wrote: The source of the confusion is due to conduit fill. There are no fill tables for NM-B.

TDKPE explained earlier in the thread how to calculate NM-B fill in conduit per NEC:

"OP: Be aware that you need to size the conduit for the circular area of the [flat in this case] cable assembly based on the largest dimension, which is .518" for oval 10/2 w/g UF-B.  So 10/2 UF-B has an equivalent x-sectional area of .211 in^2 and three conductors (the grounding cond. counts for conduit fill), and with more than 2 conductors, you can use 40% fill, so that's 3/4" EMT (.213 in^2) minimum.  Have to bump it to 1" for PVC, though, as 3/4" sch. 80 is only .164 in^2."
popcorn
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-25-2016, 02:33 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: popcorn

????
Are you stroking out on me again, Stevie??

Laugh

www.RUSTHUNTER.com