ROS Replacement
My two PC 5" ROSs are on their last legs, and I'm thinking about replacements. I'm not going Festool, so what is the consensus on these. Thx.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I had a makita for years and it was a beast. Replaced the pad and bearing, and my son in law is still using it. Now I have a Dewalt. So far it is still spinning nicely

I really like my Mirka Ceros sander.  It is expensive but I think it is the last sander I will buy.  I especially like the small form factor, variable speed, and it really seems to be well built.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Thankfully my old trusty PC 333 is still going strong but I will regret the day it does pass on. I also have a DeWalt D26456 that I like. My only complaint with the DeWalt is that it's a little hard to grasp with my smaller than average hands.
The Bosch ROS65VC is very hard to beat.  Excellent control, no swirl marks, very low vibration, and excellent onboard dust collection, but also comes with an adapter to hook it up to a vacuum cleaner.  You can buy it as a 5", 6", or in a kit with both pads.  

John
(08-07-2016, 02:38 PM)sweensdv2 Wrote: Thankfully my old trusty PC 333 is still going strong but I will regret the day it does pass on.  I also have a DeWalt D26456 that I like.  My only complaint with the DeWalt is that it's a little hard to grasp with my smaller than average hands.

Yeah, that's the pair I have, 333s; PC don't make things like them anymore; these are just about 20 years old and have done yeoman's work.  I'm sure the newer models have improved dust collection, I can't see myself hooking one up to a vacuum, but maybe so.

Thanks to all for opinions so far, keep 'em coming....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
My PC sander is still working. The thing I like about it it's a one-handed sander. It actually works pretty well hooked up to a vacuum. But mines going to be 13-14 years old so it's going to go soon. Holes for the new pad I just put on it seem stripped out. The pad keeps coming off.

I tried the bosh ROS65VC but found that it was too much sander for me. It was very powerful and the dust collection was excellent but I had to hold onto that thing with two hands. And It kind of jumped around a little bit on me. So I sent it back.

I hate to spend that much money, but I'm probably going to spring for the fest tool 150/5 EC sander. I got to try one out at the local woodcraft store and I could drive it around with one finger. I don't have a drum sander anymore so I'm going to spend a lot more time sending that I would like. Another sander that's looks great is the Mirka. But that's even more money. Jeez you can buy a used table saw for the price of some of these Sanders.
I finally wore my Dewalt out and I probably should just get another Dewalt.  Lasted about 20 years at the rate I use it.  There is a part I could replace, but it costs half of what a new sander costs, and who knows what else is going to fail next. Shouldn't have wasted $30 on a Ryobi, as pointed out in my thread about it.  I was doing a lot of drywall sanding, which I figured is not a healthy thing for a ROS.
+1 for the Mirka

I bought a used (like new) Ceros for less than half retail.  Instantly outdated every other sander I have. 
Big Grin

Lonnie
Replace it with a scraper!!