Safety Alert seen on Frank Howarth video
The table saw Frank was using at 5:50 has no riving knife.  He was able to recover, but I would call that a scary moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdLT7SJNspI

His solution, and a good solution, was to use the band saw.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe

Nice video quality, great editing, great shop ....

As far as the safety issue goes, ripping big strips of chunk sized wood on a table saw always poses a threat expecially when there are NO safety guards anywhere. 

For me, table saw safety rule #1 is quite simple: use the band saw 
Wink

Anything that can be cut on the band saw is cut on the band saw. Obviously, some stuff won't fit through a 14" band saw but the combination of a track saw, band saw, and miter saw has taken about 90% of the work load off my table saw.

The table saw can be used safely and doesn't scare me, I've just found it to be the least best solution to most of my cutting needs.
All I saw was someone who was paying attention to what he was doing and knew the correct course of action to take based on the feedback he was getting from the saw and wood.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
I've had my TS bind even when I had the splitter in place.  So far it hasn't been a problem.  I hold on to the wood, hit the stop paddle with my knee and then remove the piece of wood when the blade stops.

<shrug>  I've had things go south using my bandsaw before.  you have to pay attention to what you're doing.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

(08-08-2016, 05:33 AM)AlanBienlein Wrote: All I saw was someone who was paying attention to what he was doing and knew the correct course of action to take based on the feedback he was getting from the saw and wood.

+1

However this only comes from experience.
I felt like he was really lucky that board didn't go flying.
(08-08-2016, 05:33 AM)AlanBienlein Wrote: All I saw was someone who was paying attention to what he was doing and knew the correct course of action to take based on the feedback he was getting from the saw and wood.

Yeah. BTDT. The riv knife would have made it bind earlier.He felt it and dealt with it. Good video for guys who have less time with a saw.

The bottom line.....
YOU are the last piece of safety equipment before a problem occurs!!!

Me, I would have kneeded the off button.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I don't.  If you're paying attention to what the board is doing, you'll feel it start to bind before it becomes a problem.  But you need to pay attention and stop when you feel it start to bind and not try to force it further...that's when things will go south in a hurry.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Kickback doesn't always provide enough warning to the operator to make a correction before something bad happens.  If it did, there would be a lot fewer accidents using a TS.  Ask yourself this:  "When do you get enough experience to recognize when a piece is binding and take appropriate actions to prevent an accident?"  No doubt, Frank is an experienced and skilled woodworker.  But I wouldn't hold up his safety practices as the standard for those new to the hobby / profession.  Using the available safety devices while operating power tools is at the discretion of the operator.  Frank apparently chooses to forego those devices.  I don't.

I also noticed that both times he used the disk sander, he's free handing on the side where the disk is rotating up. Not using the table and the side where the disk is rotating down. Oh well...
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
For those who only saw a man with experience react, listen to what Frank himself said.  He said "I should have started with the bandsaw."  While, on a scale of 1 to 10, this was not a #10 scary moment, it still rates a 3 or 4 in my book.  I have had a few of those moments where experience has allowed me to react correctly, but I also step back, review and make changes to my routine.  I do not want to press my luck.

Where I work we review close calls and first aid just the same as a full blown OSHA incident.  Our current extremely low accident rate was considered unachievable a few short years ago.  It is much better to rely on safe practices to keep you safe than to rely on experience and reaction. 

I have worked with more than one experienced person who was missing body parts.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe