dining table
Hey fellas, I'm refinishing a dining table instead of buying a new one (as if...).

I have successfully striped the old finish down to bare wood, sanded up through 400, and layed down 3 nice coats of clear shellac (sanded between coats).

Now, can I (should I) use a high gloss poly and then wrap up by rubbing out the finish with 0000 steel wool and wax?

Is this a safe finish for a food surface?

Please share your experience and wisdom!

Thanks, Eric
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Aspiring amateur woodworker
After the finish is cured, it's safe. Right?

I have seen some things that indicate there is not definitive support for some finishes that even after curing they would be food safe. Would appreciate guidance from folks who have been doing this for a while instead of trusting "research data" that isn't always accurate.
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist
Unless you're planning on preparing and eating food directly off the finish of the table, I can't imagine how in the world it would make any difference.
From a post above in the Woodworking forum:

>>>> The poly is not safe for food.

Sure it is. Since the mid-1970's all finishes used in household applications is required to be non-toxic when fully cured. "Poly" is nothing more than an oil based finish where a urethane resin is used for the oil component in the mixture.

Howie.........

Howard is an experienced and knowledgeable finishing guy, so he knows his stuff. Please note the "fully cured" part, though...with oil based finishes that may be 30 days or more.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Thanks guys, I knew you would be very helpful!

Really appreciate the collective wisdom/experience available here!

Have an awesome day everyone - GO USA in Rio!
Eric Bruns
Licensed Psychologist