shingles
(08-09-2016, 11:19 AM)Rick in Ontario Wrote: Yup, and my roofer told me you MIGHT get 15 years out of "30 year" shingles but more likely 10 to 12 years.

Like I said, my next roof will be steel.

Bingo. WWen we move out next house in the Carolinas will get a steel roof when it needs one. It's a one time deal for most. Here in DFW the insurance companies prefer metal roofs as they hold up immensely better in our common hail storms. You get a discount on your insurance if you have the policy where they only replace the roof for failure not cosmetic issues. 
     Also metal roofs reflect heat while asphalt ones just absorb it. So a cooler attic and a cooler house with lower electric bills. 

As for regular shingles I don't see many houses using the old style  tab anymore. Most have all gone to the architectural shingles which are basically double thick and hold up to hail better and look allot better. 

In the desert they use clay tile and concrete shingles which I have not been able to find a price on what concrete shingles cost but they are interesring. I personally don't like asphalt roofs from a looks and a functional point.
our previous house had concrete shingles.  You have to walk on them very carefully, and according to the home builder, the shingles aren't very standard (least in 1998 when we bought the place) so that if you cracked/broke one and that shingle was no longer made you might not be able to find a replacement that fit well, if at all.  dunno if that's changed.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

One thing I have noticed is that now that metal roofs are becoming popular they are getting cheaper and thinner to compete.  What good is a metal roof that cost three times the money as a shingle roof but only last twice as long?   

Shingle roofs are easy to replace and fix if they do leak... metal... not so much.   Proper standing seam metal requires a thicker sheathing to attach to also.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I used to live in a house with a steel roof.  Cant recall it being that noisy in the rain.
Manufacturer selection is somewhat geographic as far as which one the roofers prefer but generally GAF, Certinteed are the two baggies all over. Of also isn't too bad. Stay away from iko and tamko. Warranties are prettying much useless. You really need to read and understand the coverages. They vary depending on how many products you include in the new roof. You can upgrade with hi performance underlayment instead of felt, or include pre manufactured starter strip and hips, ridges.
Simply choosing 3 contractors and selecting on price is a bunch of hoey. Pre qualify the contractors based on insurance, referrals, and they should be master contractors as determined by the manufacturer. That  does provide a little separation between top and lower tier contractors. The top tier guys can get a better warranty  even if they aren't  worth much. Lastly go toNRCA.org
(08-09-2016, 04:51 PM)Splinter Puller Wrote: One thing I have noticed is that now that metal roofs are becoming popular they are getting cheaper and thinner to compete.  What good is a metal roof that cost three times the money as a shingle roof but only last twice as long?   

Shingle roofs are easy to replace and fix if they do leak... metal... not so much.   Proper standing seam metal requires a thicker sheathing to attach to also.

Metal roofs last much longer than that. Especially in severe climates like here. Install a metal roof right and it'll never leak. Problem is there are many types of metal roofs. 
       As for price it's comparable to asphalt here. An asphalt roof will run 30k on most houses. Often you can have a metal roof done for the same or less than asphalt unless you want flat seam or something odd. Roofs are quite pricey here because of the hail storms. The roofers charge allot more because homeowners rarely pay for roofs out of their pocket. The insurance company pays for it... 
        Had my grandmother's house re roofed by a union contractor up north for a fraction of the cost per square it is here and they did a way better job than the local contractors here.
Metal isn't a bad option. Use a good underlayment select a concealed cleat standing seam system. Go with the heavier gauge panel, don't cheap out on the trim stock thickness and chosen reputable contractor. Do be prepared for odd noises from the panels expanding and contracting
GAF and Owens are both good.
What matters is the installer. Been there, done that.
I had a roof put on a 1600 sf house. Actually 2 roofs. The first one was crap, and I had him remove the entire roof and redo it. The second one came out great.
Here are a few pictures. We call it, "The roof from hell" 
You will see why.
Beware the installer.

[Image: Rows%201.jpg]

[Image: missing%203.jpg][Image: Missing%205.jpg][Image: Bump%202.jpg][Image: Valley%201.jpg][Image: Bump%203.jpg][Image: DSCN1294.jpg][Image: DSCN1302.jpg][Image: DSCN1304.jpg][Image: DSCN1308.jpg]
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I've done 3 roofs in my life, and I do a way way better job than that.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I'm not a pro, but I've done  my share of roofing over the years.  I've worked with any number of different "crews" of volunteers, friends, family, etc.  I've never seen a roof done so poorly.  That is incredible.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?