Hard wired smoke detectors
The battery backup can no longer be 9 volt replaceable for new installs.

"A California law taking effect July 1 aims to eventually phase out smoke detectors that take replaceable batteries.
For now, however, landlords just need to make sure they’re existing smoke alarms are working.  So don’t go ripping your nine-volt powered smoke alarm from the ceiling.
Quote:For many, the biggest changes in the law will hit then and mainly affect retailers
The law first focuses on the folks selling smoke detectors. It says battery-powered smoke alarms sold in the Golden State must have non-replaceable, non-removable batteries that last for at least 10 years. This regulation, however, has a yearlong exception that will keep old-fashioned-but-in-stock smoke detectors from going to waste.
Property owners, managing agents, contractors, wholesalers or retailers with replaceable-battery smoke alarms in stock or on order can keep installing or selling them through July 1, 2015.
For many, the biggest changes in the law will hit then and mainly affect retailers. At that point, selling smoke detectors with replaceable batteries will be illegal.
Also in a year, the law will require that all smoke alarms or combination smoke alarms/carbon monoxide detectors sold do the following:
  • Display the date of manufacture

• Provide a place on the device where the date of installation can be written

• Incorporate a hush feature

• Incorporate an end-of-life feature that provides notice that the device needs to be replaced.
Another part of the law will roll out six months later. This is when property owners will see the biggest change.
By Jan. 1, 2016, owners of rental units must install smoke alarms in each bedroom or other sleeping area. These alarms must meet all of the fire marshal’s requirements.
If a smoke alarm is already in place and working, however, state law won’t require the landlord to change it out – even if the old alarm takes a replaceable battery. If it’s 2016 or later when the smoke detector finally stops working, only battery-powered replacements with the 10-year lifespans will be available, at least in California.
While the law taking effect next week might not affect you directly for another year and a half, make sure you’re in compliance with the law by reviewing the California Apartment Association’s White Paper on fire protection systems.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I got some of the low profile alarms from Kidde soon after they came out, mostly because of the rechargeable battery. Kind of a pain to find at that time. Looks a lot better too. I'm glad the batteries are required now. Wasn't that expensive.  I guess if you have to replace a lot of them.

When I think about it, I would like to put one in each bedroom.  I have a CO alarm still in it's original packaging.  Now that I'm pulling some wires I should put that one up.

I'm pretty sure our local hazardous material roundup day will take fire alarms, maybe even the electronic waste collection that's always open will do that. Local trash authority usually has a web page.
(08-10-2016, 10:15 PM)Bryan11 Wrote: When we looked into this a few years ago for our home, it ended up making more sense for us to just go with the battery only detectors.  One alarm going off is easily heard anywhere in the home, so there wasn't much reason to wire them all together.  Using the battery only versions cut costs and made it easier to replace them.

Verify this yourself, but I recall the dual sensor smoke detectors being best at detecting different types of fires.

So what did you do with the boxes where the hard wired models were mounted? Just cover them with the battery models? In any case I ordered some new Kidde that have are hard wired with battery backup (9V, I think). I'm not facing any zoning restrictions and/or regulations that would force some of the other things on me.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
My carbon monoxide detector used to fail often. So it's better to replace it.
Had my house rewired in 2009, code said one detector outside each bedroom and basement stairwell, all hardwired together with 9v battery back up.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(08-11-2016, 06:51 AM)fredhargis Wrote: So what did you do with the boxes where the hard wired models were mounted? Just cover them with the battery models? In any case I ordered some new Kidde that have are hard wired with battery backup (9V, I think). I'm not facing any zoning restrictions and/or regulations  that would force some of the other things on me.

The old alarms were installed in the 1970's and weren't in ideal places.  We patches up the wall where they went and mounted the new ones where recommended.  That ended up being in the kitchen, living room, utility room, and each bedroom.