New lathe input...
Hi Guys,

My old Delta lathe bit the dust again, and if my last option doesn't pan out, it looks like I won't be able to get it up and running again.  I ordered a part that was suppose to still be available (spindle), but as usual, it's taking them forever to ship it.  I called to check on it today, but after being on hold for two hours (EXACTLY), they hung up on me.  I can't wait indefinitely for them to decide to ship the part (but then I can't cancel the order if I can't contact them!).  So my last hope is to check with a local machine shop tomorrow to see if they can turn my old spindle down for a reasonable cost.  One of the pulleys fell apart, and I had a spare set to put in, but found out they're too small for the spindle.  So if I can't get this one turned down, I'll be looking for a new lathe.

I don't have a lot to spend, but would like to get something with electronic speed controls.  I really like the looks of the Laguna REVO 18-36, but it's a little more than I wanted to spend, and the few customer service reviews I've been able to find make them sound as bad as Delta and I don't need that headache again.  So I've been considering the 18x47 Grizzly GO733.  I actually like the smaller footprint of the 22x42 G0766 better, but the website says it's not available in my area for some reason when I plug in my zip code.  I also wondered if some of my tool rests might be too short for that one.

How about the cheaper Grizzly G0632?  Anyone have any of those and would like to offer an opinion?  http://www.grizzly.com/products/16-x-42-...aign=zPage

I don't want to go too cheap-- I do pen work so I need a lathe that will center head to tail correctly or that can be adjust accurately.  Are there any other brands with something similar?

Thanks...JEB
Jeb

This is what I know and hope you get the other one fixed.  Laguna tools are saposed to be great tools and work great but from my experience the customer support is almost Nil.  Now on the Grizzly I have had great customer service but sometimes their equipment breaks or not up to par.  I have heard good things on their lathes and nothing bad so take that as you wish.

On the part you ordered you can cancel the payment and go somewhere else to get it and I have had to do that before when you can not talk to Customer Service or anyone else for that matter.  If you paid my credit card you can have it taken off if you call the bank and dispute the charge that you have not received the order and you can not contact them either.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
There is no Replacement for Displacement.
The reason the G0766 is not available is because it is out-of-stock at the Missouri location (but in stock in Bellingham).

Me I would wait to see what happens with the Delta, but if you need a new lathe, get the G0766, after it's back in stock in Missouri... Assuming you can't afford the G08000
Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that's more accident then design.
easier to bore and key the pulley. I would keep the spindle stock. thinning it could weaken it. you might get into further accomidations for diameter aslo like the rear bearing journal needing reduction as well.
Just curious why you would have the shaft turned down as opposed to getting a different pulley or boring the too small pulley?