Poly over Waterlox
Sorry if this has been asked and answered. Didn't find anything.

Can oil based poly be put over clean, sanded, well cured Waterlox original sealer/finish? How about water based poly?

I have a cherry top that was finished with Waterlox a few years ago. The finish was recently damaged by some kind of medication being spilled on it (maybe contained alcohol??). I have repaired the damage to where it looks OK, but I want to put a more damage resistant finish on. I would rather not have to sand it all back to bare wood if I can avoid it.
I consider Waterlox one of the more durable finishes on the market. A phenolic/tung oil varnish that really has some toughness. It may be possible that you didn't apply enough of it. Anyway, if you insist on top coating it, either of your choices should adhere; I would scuff sand the Waterlox first. You also asked about alcohol, shouldn't affect the Waterlox.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I think I put the usual 3 coats on it. I don't know what was in that medication, but it took the finish off where it landed right down to the bare wood. Couldn't have done a better job with paint remover. Anyway, thanks. I like Waterlox too. And, I don't plan to spill any more medicine on it, but I think I'll put some poly on it as this top gets used pretty hard.
Just a thought. Put down a coat of dewaxed shellac and then topcoat with Endurovar. John tested it a lot and found to be the most resistant to chemicals.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Thanks. I'll look into that.