Small box size questions.
I 'need' to make some small boxes.   Maybe 3.5" x 7".   Anyone have sizes that 'work' visually well?   As woodworkers we know that size matters!   Proportions and visual appeal matter.   If a box is not the 'right size', it looks just wrong.   So, any of you box makers have sizes that you like to work with?  What gives you the most satisfying visual appeal.   BTW, for me, I work with 1/4" stock for the smaller boxes.  I find that 3/8 and more make my boxes look and feel too chunky.   Post some boxes if you can...love to see them.
Hi,

I think you've answered your own question. How did you come to the conclusion that 1/4" wall thickness is better than 3/8" or greater for a small box? Because you recognized that proportions are more important than size. Just trust your own judgement.

You might try making a few quick models - they can be full size, they're small - as a method to help you decide. Use a hot glue gun, even contact cement, to join the wood. See how the color, grain, and texture of the wood affects the visual proportions of the box. Remember that internal sculptural details often "show up" more with light woods, whereas the "outline" is more prominent with dark woods. Goof around; design is a playful process.

BTW, in regards to proportion, size and visual appeal, check out Phil Weber's boxes. I bet you'll get a different idea about the "importance" of size.
For proportions, where possible, I like to stay close to the Golden Ratio.
I've used 3/8" on small boxes; it's not bad.
It's all about what looks good to the maker and recipient.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
First handcut DT box I made. Overall size is around 10 x 14. It's made with 3/4" stock which was entirely too big for that size. Since I have made others using 1/2, 5/8, and even 3/8. I like all of them better than the first, but 1/2" to 5/8" seems very nice at that size. Sorry I don't have pics of this complete, or any pix of the others. Never remember the camera while doing  
Sleep  
Sleep  
Sleep

[Image: detailview.jpg]

These are varied sizes, but smaller around 3 1/2 x 8 or so. All 3 are in 3/8" stock, and all have 1/2" tops. Sorry again with the no camera all the time, thus just a few pics to show the guy who gave me that fine Persimmon. I gave he and his lovely wife one with a Mesquite top, and that pic is below.

[Image: StackofPersimmon.jpg]

[Image: Wildlookingboxlid.jpg]

I really need to shoot more shop pics, and more finished project pics........

Typically I only use 1/4" for bottoms. I find the joinery can unravel on 1/4" work. A miniature/model maker I am not.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW