How would you fix it?
So I am picking up this chair because I seem to have some strange addiction to this type chair.  This one looks to be mostly solid so my options are?  I am more often working with basket cases so less likely to look for short cuts

[Image: 00W0W_1zdzFp9oMFE_600x450.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

I think epoxy is the best solution for that type of break.  I'm partial to West Systems epoxy, probably because I'm more familiar with their stuff than other brands.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Looks like a nice clean break on a good chair.  If that split is the only fault, I would use a syringe and needle to inject glue into the crack and clamp it up. You wouldn't see the repair and the finish wouldn't have to be touched.  Titebond will flow through an 18 gauge needle and that fits a pretty tight crack.  I can get syringes and needles from my local farm supply place and they aren't expensive.  Let me know if you can't easily source them.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I had a chair like that and finally ended up tossing it because the top needed refinishing and it was punky wood. However, I did some work on it first. The seat was cracked like that, and I unscrewed the bottom and glued it back together. The bottom holds the seat across the grain, so they are often cracked.  Needs to be able to slide with wood movement.  I expect the usual tricks would work, i.e. only fastening tight in the middle and using oblong screw holes elsewhere
Titebond, needle and a couple of pocket-hole screws.

I reglued a chair like that when urethane glue first came out. About 10 years later I sat down one day and every joint came apart.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
thanks for the ideas, I was leaning towards pocket hole screws and glue but I am concerned with a re-occurrence of the break and the pocket holes creating a bigger problem
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

On another subject, when are ya taking off your training wheels??!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
If the chair is as old as I think it is check the joint and you'll find the glue has crystallized.  Clean it out and reglue and it will be good for a long time.  
Notice the stress of sitting is down and there should be pieces on the bottom of the seat to support it.

Good luck; those are comfy chairs.
Laugh
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I think the chair is from the 30's i have quite a few of them.  I picked up one last week without wheels that needs to be refinished.  I am hoping to get this one back together and use it for my desk.  Like I said I have an addiction to these chairs

Phil Thien

I'm of the opinion that you are going to need to disassemble and joint the edges to get a decent glue up there. You may not have to take too much apart to get to the surfaces, then again, you might have to take apart more than it is worth to you. Pocket screws may strengthen a poor joint enough to keep it from coming apart.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life."        Mongo