How would you fix it?
if he takes it apart and joints, there goes the finish.  Unless it's shellac, in which case he can French polish it and it will look fine. I think taking it apart is a good idea.  The split was due to wood movement, so if that is fixed then it isn't going to split again.  Taking it apart and using liquid hide glue may be the best bet.  But the wood movement has to be fixed.

The arms are probably held on by a couple of screws on each side.  Getting the wood plugs out isn't easy.  Then the top comes off.  The rim around the bottom is held on by some screws.
Had a chair do that and what I did was Titebond glue the joint and then put some cross pieces under the seat to bridge the split. That was 5 years ago and still as good as new.
John T.
well thanks for all the suggestions.  turns out the chair was not as described probably made in the last 20.  I left it for someone else
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

My method is a lot of work but the chair will be whole again.
Disassemble the chair.If the joint is fairly clean and had been hot hide glued when built, then re-glue with hot hide glue
and clamp up.You may be able to glue up the split without disassembly if the seat pulls up tight with clamps or pinch dogs.

mike