Minimum safe jointing length?
In an effort to make use of some of my cutoffs, I'd like to know the minimum safe jointing length. Is there a formula for it?

My jointer is 96 years old. Can't find a manual for it.

The space between the beds is 1 3/8" wide.
Semper fi,
Brad

What size is your jointer ?
8" wide.

I figure if I can face and joint two sides I can glue them up to make them long enough for the planer.
Semper fi,
Brad

I've never gone less than about 7 or 8", and then set for a very light cut. Frankly, shorts are best dealt with with hand planes. You can do a lot with a well sharpened #5, more than enough to get it ready for the planer.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have a #5. I don't know why I didn't think of it...probably because I don't use them.

Thanks!
Semper fi,
Brad

I did about 8" the other day. Probably the shortest I've done. I don't think I'd be comfortable going any shorter than that, read too many stories of people giving themselves bad manicures on jointers over the years.
-Marc

You can always screw, glue, or maybe clamp it to a longer board if you don't want to use a hand plane.

John
IME  4 times the distance between the tables without some sort of additional support then as already stated a handplane is quicker

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

You have a DANGEROUS jointer with a gap that large.  No smaller than a foot and a half or so, and a good set of wooden hands to move the wood.   Watch the transfer of feed pressure from after hold to forward table after the board is established there so you don't dip and kick.  Whatever you do, let the whole thing fly if it kicks, don't try to save it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
(08-15-2016, 10:27 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: You have a DANGEROUS jointer with a gap that large.  No smaller than a foot and a half or so, and a good set of wooden hands to move the wood.   Watch the transfer of feed pressure from after hold to forward table after the board is established there so you don't dip and kick.  Whatever you do, let the whole thing fly if it kicks, don't try to save it.

If the space between the beds is 1-3/8" (I think that's what the OP said), that is about normal for most full-length bed 6" and 8" jointers I've seen.

But if the space is 1-3/8" from the top of the cutter head to the edge of the outfeed table, that's a different kettle of fish.

8" would be absolute bare minimum but 12" would be better.  At those short lengths, it is a simple matter to make a custom push block that spans the whole length and hooks over the trailing edge.  Or spring for the $$ and buy one like MicroJig makes that has the little flop-down hooks and grippy pad.  A nice design but a bit spendy.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin