Dovetail Jigs
I'm looking for recommendations for a dovetail jig.
I'd like to stay under $400 for a budget, but if it's worth to spend more, I'll do it.
It looks the the PC4210 is the stardard and the Leigh D4R Pro is the cadillac.
Are the Leigh Super 12,18,24 jigs nice?
Right now, I'm looking at making a few smaller boxes, but drawer boxes are definitely in the near future.

Thanks,
Dan
My suggestion is to look at the capabilities of the jig and the size range of the dovetail bits you can use with the jig. Can you cut small enough dovetails for the small boxes you want to make? And can you get the spacing you want? Think about how you want the dovetails to look. Do you like dovetails the look like zipper teeth? Do you like narrow tails and wide pins? Do you like the dovetail angle required by the jig? It's worth noting that the angle of the dovetails made with the Leigh jigs is determined by the angle of the guide fingers.

You should also think about the larger pieces you might want to make. Will the jig handle the stock?

I guess it's out of your price range but I use the Router Boss for router-cut dovetails. It'll do dovetails with any dovetail cutter at any spacing on stock from 3/4 in. or so to 36 in. wide. It does much more than dovetails so it's not a dovetail jig.
I own the Craftsman Pro - I would not buy it again.  One thing I would look for is a metal bar for the DT template.  The C is plastic - too much movement IMO.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I believe the PC4210 is a blind dovetail jig.  Check Craiglist, and local auctions for the PC Omnijig.  Iv'e seen them go super cheap at auctions.
In general, you get what you pay for.

A few years back I finally ponied up and bought a Leigh - more $$ but a VERY CAPABLE DT jig. No regrets.

Your mileage may vary.  :-)

Billbor
I had the PC4210.  There is a supplemental manual that shows you how to do all sorts of special dovetails.  I think it is the best of the 12" fixed spacing jigs.  I found a new used Leigh D4R so I jumped on it.  Mostly for the capacity but the variable spacing will be nice also.  I have not used it yet.  A lot of people sell these because the are too complicated.  I have seen them on CL and E-Bay for as low as $250.  I have looked at the manuals and it looks like instructions for a dovetail jig so I am not sure where it gets complicated.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Suggest you consider this, a dovetail guide.  http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.as...at=1,42884 as an alternative.    I know you are looking for a dovetail jig which uses a router and never considered cutting pins and tails by hand due to the level of difficulty.  
      I've almost completed my 4th Hope Chest with hand cut dovetails using Lee Valley's guide. Because of the 22" width of the panels, I initially bought the Leigh jig.  Rocket science in terms of use and set up.  Sold it. 
      What I like about the Lee Valley guide is: 1) YOU determine pin and tail width (spacing), 2)you mark the pins and tails at the same time which is a huge time saver. 3) The dovetail guide has magnets which keeps the blade flush with sides and results in a dead vertical cut at the precise angle.  Learning to drive a saw accuratley in 2 planes takes years of practice.  I use a  (Ryoba- Japanese pull saw).  I use a jig saw to cut the waste between the pins and tails cutting close to the line and finish up with a trim router to get a dead flat bottom "on the cut line".  
          Send me a PM with your email address and send you a bunch of pictures -- if you're interested.

Dave
Ranger, where are you located?

I have a Leigh jig d4 I'd probably get rid of
I've only used the Leigh variant, and sporadically enough that I have to "relearn" it each time, but it's really easy to do because the manual is *so* detailed and easy to read. I've had mine for about 13 years.

If new is out of your budget, and you aren't in a rush, watch CL.  I see them pop up once a month or so in the DC area under your budget.
Semper fi,
Brad

PM sent to  AUswimKC & Sawdustd.
Dan