Is it me, or....
I don't like the new interface. I find I spend less time on WoodNet because of my dislike of the new interface. Who knows, maybe it's for the best, more time for actually working wood.

John
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
Imagine how hard it would be to have this kind of conversation if we all had to trade letters back and forth in the mail.  It's different, but in the greater scheme of things, not much important for me.
This is a good, and necessary thread.  The decline in posting activity began well before the change in forum formats.  There has been very little content input other than from beginning woodworkers. This forum seems to be focused primarily on hand tools more so than on hand tool techniques.  A couple of other forums cover hand tool use topics a bit more in depth. 

The S&S is the healthiest part of the whole format.  Still a good place to sell or buy tools.

Regarding the participation in the forum, I find that woodworking forums have left a bad impression on many in the woodworking community, especially manufacturers.  I personally feel that forums are a way for the industry to take the pulse of the market.  A few tool makers know how to utilize the on-line community to their benefit.  Others may read forums but never acknowledge that they do.  Probably every maker of any note has the ability for forum postings mentioning their company to be brought automatically to their attention.  As you can see only a select few makers utilize a forum to communicate directly with customers, and they get rarer every day.  Perhaps tool makers feel they have little to gain from forum discussions and too little time for them anyway.

Our woodworking club is growing slowly.  We lose just about as many members as we gain each year, but there are some younger ones coming in and quite a few women coming to meeting along with their husbands.  The healthiest part of our membership participation is in our hand tool special interest group that holds separate meetings from the club at-large.
As to the decline in postings, this always happens in summer, when fudge are busy with other things like vacations, or outdoor projects. It would be interesting to see the data on posting frequency over time, as I'm just going on memory here.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Took me a couple of days to get the settings just right, and now I'm used to it & like it!

I just wish I knew how to post pics, but to be honest I never knew how on the old site.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Phillip, check your spam folder and your control panel. Mine were going straight to spam.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
(08-15-2016, 01:41 PM)Rob Young Wrote: I've made the suggestion but what I'm finding is that "young people" aren't interested in forums.  Too 1990's.  They are more interested in using "modern" social media methods.

This is 100% correct. I've seen a huge surge in the past 5-6 years of younger people (say 35 and under) getting involved with woodworking, and hand tools specifically. Like Rob said, Internet forums are sort of a relic of the old days of the Internet and aren't where younger folks congregate. Facebook has a lot of woodworking groups but Facebook isn't exactly popular any more with many younger people.. Twitter and especially Instagram seem to be a hub of activity. There's some incredible work being shown on Instagram these days, well worth checking out.

Josh

.. not feeling "young" anymore
www.hyperkitten.com Funny Name, Good Stuff.

Old Tools, Woodworking, Blog, Tools for Sale.

How much irony is there in young people wanting to use only the latest technology to communicate about hand tools?
Undecided
I am not a fan....my first post after the change.

I appreciate the information a day effort that goes into making and delivery of the site but to your point of consideration of the format, I just ain't with it.

The old site was consistent along all my devices. I just viewed in classic. This is consistent as well, but I mention that in response to another post.

So, let's see if my very arbitrary but still ww'ing related image attaches just for kicks.

Attached Files Image(s)

"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
Quote:This is a good, and necessary thread.  The decline in posting activity began well before the change in forum formats.  There has been very little content input other than from beginning woodworkers. This forum seems to be focused primarily on hand tools more so than on hand tool techniques.  A couple of other forums cover hand tool use topics a bit more in depth. 

The decline started a few years ago. The new format has simply accelerated it. 

I visit WN because I have been a member here for many years and have made good friends from whom I enjoy hearing. However the content has become so elementary that it is a turn off. Most of it is not even woodworking ... it is painting and decorating. What has happened to the builds? Even when they pop up, there is minimal contributing discussion. 

Come on WN, get your act together!

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com