need ideas for door replacement
My son in law has good size 3 season room on top of a block foundation, underneath he stores his lawn equipment, the door is 3'x7' and he wants to change it to a 5' door as he wants to get a riding lawn mower, the door that's there now is a solid slab that's oviously been cut down in height, i'm thinking two 2-1/2' doors I could build would do the job but i'm having a problem on the materials and the security as they open inward, i'm open to any and all ideas, tia?
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
Is there enough headroom for a roll-up door? They can be had at 6ft wide.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

I'm not sure if there's enough headroom.
Im sure these are the same people that have said they got no problem eating cats and dogs but shreek like little girls at the sight of an octopus.jonzz 12/17/13
Will he open it from the inside or outside? If from the inside, he could always put a bar across the doors to help secure them. I have a outward double door for my shop and it had a strip on one door that covers the gap between doors so that you can not get to the plungers on the door knob mechanisms.
Kelly C
Medford, OR
The door is the only access to this room.
You might have to just accept the security issues, but what comes to my mind is a folding door, such that the center hinged part opens out, then you could fashion some sort of angle iron outside bar with locks on each end or something.  Maybe put a roller on the one side of the door end that moves, not like this is going to be opened 5 times every day.  A little clumsy, but that's all I got.  Otherwise, your original plan but forget about security.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
out swing doors can be made as secure as any swing doors 

use NRP (non removable hinge pins)  and a deadbolt 

I would suggest a 3'0" active door and a smaller 2'0" door with edge flush bolts to secure the inactive door f you want 5'0"

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Is there a header over the door? If so, how to put in a 5 foot door over a 3 foot header? I'm guessing not and the floor load is carried by a rim joist.

Why not use whatever doors you want and a steel cross bar and padlock?

External hinges can be "security hinges" with non-removable pins. Heck, tack weld common hinges for that matter.

Joe's suggestion of a 3' and 2' door makes good sense and is likely what I would do.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
You can always order an exterior, out-swing double 5'pre hung door. They're called "Shed Doors". The borgs used to stock them. Lowes or Depot should be able to order them if you can find someone in millwork who know what they're doing. They'll have an aluminum threshold and I would guess it would have brickmold. They might even include the jamblocks.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

"You can always order an exterior, out-swing double 5'pre hung door. They're called "Shed Doors". The borgs used to stock them. Lowes or Depot should be able to order them if you can find someone in millwork who know what they're doing. They'll have an aluminum threshold and I would guess it would have brickmold. They might even include the jamblocks."

That is what I did for my shop - 5' wide double doors that swing OUT. I did not want the doors eating up shop space. Regular door knob with a dead bolt, and that thing that runs down between the doors to prevent prying. I ordered mine from a regular lumber yard (better price than the box stores) and among the options was brickmold. And it did have an aluminum threshold. Really, Really love the door. So much easier to get sheet goods in the shop.
Kelly C
Medford, OR