Can I live without table saw?
I really want to get to the point of being able to sell the TS. I have concluded that to accomplish that feat I would need an MFT (or equivalent) which would take away the space saving argument. I'd also have to buy a bandsaw and learn how to use it. The MFT + parallel guides solves most problems. All of that works well in a 4/4, 5/4 and maybe 6/4 world. To handle 8/4 without question one needs a TS75. Think about operations such as cutting 1/4" edging strips of a 3" wide board.

It all gets spendy for me figuring $750 for a MFT and parallel guides and $1000 - $1400 for a good bandsaw less the $250 I might get for the Ridgid contractor's saw and the $100 for my Delta RAS.

If you are going to work in a 4/4 world and with rough cut to length pieces of about <= 48" I see it as eminently doable.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
What's wrong with a small portable TS for the times you might need one? They are cheap and easy to handle.
Of course you can work w/o a table saw.  People did it for hundreds of years before it was invented.  But with respect to Dave's inquiry, can you do work easier some other way and save space doing it?  Personally, I don't see a track saw being able to meet either of those criteria.  A track saw isn't light and supporting the wood in order to cut it is going to take up as much space as a table saw and maybe more. 

Perhaps putting the table saw on a mobile base and/or down sizing to a smaller saw would get you there, Dave. 

John
No way would I get rid of the table saw.  Yes, there are ways to break down lumber.  I get rough cut for just about all of my projects and the quickest way to get from point 'A' to point 'B' is with the table saw.  Yes, you could sharpen up that old rip saw and go through an 8/4 8' board of white oak, or lift it up to the band saw and use dead men to support it through the cut.  Maybe for one or two cuts.  

Look, it really depends on what you are making.  If boxes are your thing, them maybe you do not need a 10" 3 hp tool.  Plywood items?  Maybe not. 

Now excluding the original poster, I get the impression that some members of this forum seem to spend more time and pleasure buying and selling tools than making stuff.  To each their own...
I really appreciate all the input. Loads to think about. The weight of the track saw IS a very important point! The idea of a smaller table saw would solve the space problem. My Unisaw has the 52" table/rail extension and I built loads of storage underneath the extension. If I removed the extension table and cut down the rails, a great deal of my space problem would be solved. My out feed table is removable and folds up flat. Would take less room and be lighter to move. Only challenge would be storage space for the accessories, which is solvable.

Again, thanks for the help.
Dave
(08-16-2016, 06:45 PM)YSU65 Wrote: Now excluding the original poster, I get the impression that some members of this forum seem to spend more time and pleasure buying and selling tools than making stuff.  To each their own...

I'll bite.
When I started this woodworking journey, I decided that if Norm needed it, so did I. And I did.
But as I grew and built stuff, I discovered what tools and process worked best for me, and my work. And which direction I wanted to take this wood working thing. So away went the table saw, among others.
I see no shame in this.

Also, as this is the power tool forum, I am not surprised that we are discussing the tools rather than the projects.
Just my opinion.
Ag
Since I've not used a track saw, I can't compare directly but that doesn't stop others from commenting, does it?

I use my circular saw and saw guide with a sheet of plywood on a foam board laying on the floor. As my knees get older, it is getting harder to stand back up after being on the floor for a few sheets.

I'm getting tempted by a panel saw that I can use standing up to break things into rough pieces prior to exact sizing on the table saw. Space is not a problem for me but getting up is.

Sometimes I wish I had store-bought knees like my wife has!
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
As AG correctly says this is the power tools forum!! I confess to falling into the Norm has it trap. Before we moved I got rid of loads of tools I honestly didn't use enough to keep. Wood workers don't all have the money or space for everything some might think are needed, yet they all manage to build projects and have fun.
Dave
(08-16-2016, 07:34 PM)daveferg Wrote: I really appreciate all the input.  Loads to think about.  The weight of the track saw IS a very important point!  ....

Hi Dave.

IMHO, get the Festool TS-55. I have one. And it will cut up to about 1-7/8" deep if I remember correctly.
The TS-75 is a large, heavy beast in comparison. Definitely has its place, but I don't need a saw that big.
I have the standard blade which is good for sheet goods and crosscuts, as well as a rip blade, as I've used it for prepping rough cut boards.

Best idea is to get the standard 55" track which comes with the saw, as well as the 118" track....
big money, but you'll thank me any time you need to make an 8' cut.
Don't make the same mistake I did by buying an additional 55" track and the connectors.
Oh, they work well enough, once you know how to connect them properly by using the saw to align them, but it's so much easier with dedicated tracks.

One of the best parts of the Festool system is the Multi-Function Table.

Designed to work with the saw, router, and other tools.

The price will scare you away, until you've actually used one...

Watch this little video... but do realize that the clamps and CMS are not included.

The basic MFT does not have the protractor type fence set up, but the complete MFT does.

[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
no doubt in my find the festool's awesome, but i ended up going with the makita, and i'd do it again in a heartbeat. i am with ya, barn, about having the dedicated LONG track. for space reasons, i use the connectors, but i'd MUCH rather have a nice long track.