Let the factory installed smoke out
that's made (like all their other power tools) by another manufacturer.  Looks a lot like a Ridgid router combo set that I have, which works really well, IIRC at the time I got my Ridgid it was made by Bosch.

Somehow I kind of doubt Bosch makes the Craftsman router, but I could be wrong.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

vibrating pos....mine went in the trash years ago....and if still worked fine.
Building Inspector
(08-16-2016, 09:18 AM)kurt18947 Wrote: Re Craftsman I handled a Craftsman router recently while killing time in a mall. I was pleasantly surprised at the plunge action. I have no idea about durability but it didn't feel half bad for Joe Homeowner who might use a router an hour per year or something like that.  I think it was this one:

https://www.craftsman.com/products/craft...on_id=2082

[Image: spin_prod_247395001.?1471323262]
Whether you'd be able to get parts in a few years is a $64 question. Unfortunately that issue is not exclusive to Craftsman.

I have bought a couple of those router sets. I was buying them new for around $80 and hhave no real complaints. The plunge is quite smooth and the collet design is a real collett. They have been making the current ones for about 10 years now. I picked up the professional plunge kit for $60 on clearance as well. 
        I have one in a router table and I can just keep beating on it and it keeps going. I am not kind to it at all. 

The only things I don't like are the switch which is a regular toggle switch which is ok but..... and the cords on the regular routers are well cheap. They are pvc cable and stiff. They are very inflexible in the cold. With a cord change it would be just fine. 
         The professional ones had a replaceable cord like on some milwaukee tools. Oh and the soft start is definitely soft start. It creeps up to speed at first... 

Overall they are now my go to routers now. My milwaukee is a dedicated router table unit now. The triton plunge was ok but I just didn't like it much.  For the price when on sale I'll buy another one.