Old Deltal Jointer
I have an old (1950 I think) Delta Jointer that I've been using for several years. I have never been able to discern what the two chrome wing nuts on the back side are for. They appear to tighten/loosen a steel rod that passes through the cast body (base), but I've never had a need to take it apart to see how it functions. Whether loose or tight, I can't tell that they have any effect on how things work. Anybody know?
I've always thought they were to tighten the ways to keep the tables from creeping up or down.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
More info than you ever wanted...
Vintage Machinery

This might be the right era manual.

And if you want to decode the serial number (year, factory)
gamma,
I have been to the Vintage Machinery site numerous times and have downloaded and printed the manual for my specific machine. Unfortunately, it says nothing about the use of the wingnuts/knobs on the back of the machine. However, I note that the manual you posted, while not exactly the same, states that the infeed table is adjusted up and down by first loosening the "hand knob" on the right side before turning the adjusting crank. I can only guess that the same features on my jointer are siezed up and ineffective for locking down the adjustment. I'll try some WD40 and gentle persuasion on it. Otherwise, everything works as it should.
Thanks
Glad I stumbled into a bit more useful info for you. =)

You might try something other than WD-40.  It's better than spit for loosening things, but not much better.  Kroil, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, ATF/Acetone, etc all work great.  

Fwiw, there are very few differences in the Delta 6" jointer over decades. And their bandsaws, drill presses, etc.  I find looking at other era/model number manuals can be very helpful.  Different writers seem to care about different parts of the machines. 

Good luck!
(08-16-2016, 09:50 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I've always thought they were to tighten the ways to keep the tables from creeping up or down.

^^^^ this...  and to 'lock' the tables.

Most times they were left snugged down and were never loosened, especially on the outfeed side... given lots of years, it's no wonder they are 'frozen'.
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.
I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet, but will do so soon. Need to get something better than WD40 first. Appreciate all the advice.
50% ATF fluid mixed with 50% Acetone.
Shake well. Apply to rusted parts.
Not that it matters a whole lot, but the ATF/acetone mix sounds like it might take the paint off too. Does it work sufficiently better to justify the mess?
Kroil is what you are looking for Likely if the nuts are loose your rust is what is holing the beds tight, so it's way in there. Kroil will get it loose, spray on, go to bed, next morning you will be able to take it apart, and no loss of paint. Expensive, YES, worth it, ABSOLUTELY
Yes

[Image: 41mevS3pCbL.jpg]
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW