Large Cherry Dining Table Build
Thumbs Up 
My granddaughter's husband used my shop and a bit of guidance to build this 43" x 96" table. The "apron" is a bit different and I was a somewhat skeptical but it turned out sturdy. The top is 1.25" thick and the legs taper from 3" to 1.75"

Plan is here (we made some changes): http://imgur.com/a/Nsxi9

We left the crosspieces full size( no tenon) and cut mortises in the legs for them. Left them unglued for seasonal changes. The under-frame is attached to the table with multiple figure 8's. The legs are attached to the top using #10 x 3.5" flat head screws. They are shopping for decorative 5/16" lag bolts and washers. 

It is shown with one coat of gel stain which they are going to follow with 5 coats of satin poly. 

[Image: IMG_20160730_135544_zpsbyxnyrfv.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160814_153751199_zpsuonqh2ek.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160815_184354190_zpsxdkvlttm.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160815_184332530_HDR_zpsong8kxyw.jpg]
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

Wonderful!
Ag
Interesting design. I like it. A lot.

Can the top expand and contract with seasonal movement? Nice design!
Yes, the top is secured to the under frame with figure 8 fasteners and the under frame is not attached to the legs. The transverse frame members fit into the legs (1.25") but are not glued. As the top moves, the legs will move on the frame.
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

Purdy!
Very nice. Clean, functional, undemanding. Nicely executed.
I like it.
Big Grin
I'm curious about how rigid the table is.   With no lower cross pieces and the legs not glued to the upper ones (I understand they can't be with that design.) it just doesn't seem like it would be all that rigid.  

John
(08-17-2016, 09:43 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I'm curious about how rigid the table is.   With no lower cross pieces and the legs not glued to the upper ones (I understand they can't be with that design.) it just doesn't seem like it would be all that rigid.  

John

It's not a work bench or a weight lifting bench.
It's a table. BTW, most people don't sit on tables either.
Unless you're a redneck.
Smirk
I wasn't suggesting it had to be strong enough in case people might sit or dance on it.  But tables get leaned on when some people get up, and pushed against sometimes, and drug across carpeted floors, too, all of which puts a lot of racking force on the legs.  Furniture construction got where it is as makers learned how to overcome the failures of the past.  But I'm always looking to learn something new, if it's better, easier, etc.  That was the root of my question.  

John