Magnetic Dovetail Guides
It really comes down to a matter of respecting the question/comment posed by the original poster. 
+1.

We can find examples like this in many other threads in which someone will always jump in to say something that does not give what the OP is looking for. Here, we could have told the OP to forget about any dovetail guide but go for a dovetail jig and a router and offer their benefits -- quick, consistent, and reliable. Even Rob Cosman can't match them!

Simon
Yes its a personal choice.  I think what the posts reflect is the normal respect a craftsman has or using his hands, eye and skill rather than guides, jigs, which are viewed as "crutches".

Philosophically, I think desiring to be a craftsman, shouldn't the overarching intent be to develop and perfect skills?

I think the basic ideological split boils down to this vs. turning out a perfect product using any means necessary, even a computer controlled robot, if one can afford it.
Everyone has his or her methods, tools, jigs.  Any one that keeps projects coming out of the shop is the right one for you.  I've not used a dovetail guide for hand work but I can see how it can work for some.  Hmmm, LV has free shipping right now, so I might pick one up just to see.....
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(08-21-2016, 11:08 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: It really comes down to a matter of respecting the question/comment posed by the original poster. 
+1.

We can find examples like this in many other threads in which someone will always jump in to say something that does not give what the OP is looking for. Here, we could have told the OP to forget about any dovetail guide but go for a dovetail jig and a router and offer their benefits -- quick, consistent, and reliable. Even Rob Cosman can't match them!

Simon

It's amazing how many "jigs" you seen in a professional shop.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
This is a salient point; most hobbyist woodworkers (such as myself) will only make one household set of anything.

It may not make sense to build, or use, jigs for single use.

Professionals trying to make a living may not have the luxury of time to enjoy a more leisurely approach.

Go to any shop that makes things in multiples, and you'll see templates on the walls, cutlists in drawers and a checklist for assembly.

How many of us bother with any of that?
I just start with a space that needs furniture and fill it.
Barron guides are very nice, and work well.

David
(08-30-2016, 11:59 AM)David Charlesworth Wrote: Barron guides are very nice, and work well.

David

Hey David;
Good to see you in here with us again!  I hope your health is good!
Skip