Crib adjustable mattress height
I've started to build a crib for my daughter, coming in a little over than three months (ish). I had a thread going a while back about the safety of bubinga for this purpose, and I've since found out that it's quite heavy and very hard but otherwise nice to work with.

I have the posts built after gluing two boards together and ripping/jointing/planing to get to what I need. The general design I have in mind will be fine, but I do need to know the dimensions of the crib mattress. For this purpose, I was originally thinking that I would use a standard crib mattress (fine) but then the issue of the support came up. There does not seem to be many options at all for pre-manufactured mattress spring frames. Products America is one of them, and by the looks of it more or less the only. Once I have the mattress support in hand (with bolts or hooks or whatever) I can build everything else around it as far as dimensions go.

But that got me thinking - why not wood? The same thing would work with wood in a variety of fashioning options. I guess I have two questions. One, are adjustable mattress heights really necessary? I know it's basically for us at first as it's tiring to lift the child in and out of the crib, but I can't see that being a problem even doing it multiple times a day. If it were, would it be so hard to simply put something underneath the mattress?

Two, would it be that difficult to make a wood frame that sits on supports at varied levels on the crib? I can see how making a frame with slats would be pretty straightforward and I can also see how setting up different levels would be pretty straightforward as well. I just can't seem to find much online that shows that other people have done it. I'm OK with doing my own design - I just wanted to see if it had been before and if there were other considerations I hadn't thought of.
Adjustable mattress height also keeps the top of the side above the height of the baby as the baby grows. I see no reason you can't build the mattress frame out of wood. I used to have a futon frame where the mattress rested on wood slats, and I've seen bunk beds built the same way. If you need mattress dimensions just head over to any place that sells cribs and take a tape measure with you. Walmart, Toys-R-Us, etc. There is no "standard" mattress size, but the size is regulated by the Feds. I recommend you purchase a mattress first and build around that mattress size. You really DON'T want to add extra length or width to the frame, because you don't want your daughter to somehow get stuck between the mattress and the frame.

As far as adjustable heights go, you could use something like shelf pins on each leg. Another choice for crib hardware is a company called Oeuf. Google crib hardware and they'll come up. They sell hardware kits for around $20. Crib sides and mattresses are outrageously priced. You may also see if you can get replacement parts direct from any crib manufacturer.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
That's useful - I didn't know if shelf pins (even substantial ones) would be adequate. Thing is, bubinga is quite heavy, even if the mattress isn't. I don't have a mattress yet, but I was planning on building around the dimensions of the one on our registry (which is supposed to be standard). Then again, this is my first, so I don't know too much about the material aspects of raising a child. I've already heard 50 different things from everybody else about you need this, you don't need that, and on and on, so whatever.

I did have some concern about her getting stuck between the mattress and the crib itself as well as between the slats, but there are regulations that govern that (or at least recommend minimum safe distances). This gave me an excuse to spend way, way, way too much on a tool (the Domino) so I don't think working on the slats will present too much of a problem. 

Thanks for the secondary source of hardware...these are hard to find. I was beginning to think they were all working solely for the big-name crib manufacturers.
It's been loong time now. Grandkids are adults now. Cribs used to have a drop down side  to make it easier to put the kid in and out, and as mentioned, adjustable mattress height to keep the kid in as he/she grows. If there is any squeak, rattle or noise the kid will shake the dickens out of  the crib just to hear it. If that makes the crib walk across the room even more shaking. It got to be a weekly chore to tighten everything up. Once the kid learns to climb out you might as well leave the side down so if he/she falls it won't be quite as far. A design that allows the side to be taken off and the mattress lowered to a foot or two from the floor would allow the crib to be used until the kid gets too long to fit.

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.
I recently built a crib for my grandson and I was not able to find plans online for a crib. I finally saw a picture of a crib on pinterest and followed that design.  The new regulations do not allow the sides to come down but the mattress can be raised or lowered.  Another regulation determines the space between the mattress and the frame of the crib.  Mattresses are a standard size so it will be easy to figure out the size of the crib itself.  I used a piece of plywood and the mattress over that, no need for springs or a box spring. Also don't forget that there is maximum spacing between the slats.
Rockler has a good selection of crib hardware.  At least they did when I made my daughter's crib 10 years ago.  I went with a fold down side, and metal brackets for the adjustable height.  All the stuff I got from them conformed to crib laws, which was nice.  I did a lot of research on the laws to ensure proper distance from the mattress to the rail, etc.
I built the crib for my daughter (she's 3 now). I made made out of Sapeele. Anyway I build a mattress frame out of pine and covered it with 1/4" plywood. (Long parts lengthwise on the crib and 4 cross members front to back and then covered in ply) It was plenty strong. My little girl was always and is still in the 95th percentiles for weight and height. I only used 2 heights but I just drilled the holes and installed some small L brackets for the mattress frame to rest on. When it was time to drop the mattress I took everything out and installed the brackets in the lower holes.

Don't listen to half the things your hear. Everything will kill your kid according to everyone. They're tough.

One thing I heard was to mind the gap around the mattress. "The child could suffocate" they say. Well I stupidly built my crib with a piston fit to my mattress. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT that was. Give yourself some room to do things like change the sheets.
-Marc

Riiiight.  All those laws and guidelines are pure BS.  It's not because kids were hurt or killed at all. 

I'm not discouraging the OP from building the crib.  Obviously I made one for my own kids.  But do yourself a favor and make the mattress fit snugly.  A little more effort on your part to change the sheets can ensure the child cannot get trapped between the mattress and the side.  Mind the gap indeed.
I'm not saying slap a mattress down with a 4" gap I'm just saying for him to use his head because I didn't and listened to the everything is going to kill your baby camp and foolishly only left barely 1/4" which was way too tight.

The other think that hasn't been mentioned is not to leave the posts proud of the rails. I can't remember what the tolerances were there but it's to prevent their clothes getting hung and them suffocating.
-Marc

Kid #1 got a Wood magazine 3-in-1 crib.  I followed the directions for sizing all the parts and also bought the Products of America hardware.  All the crib mattresses at the store were the same size and everything went together without a hitch.  The mattress was snug but not impossible to change.  When we had the mattress in the lowest setting, I had to change the sheets because my wife could no longer reach low enough.

Kid #2 got an IKEA crib.  We bought the same mattress as before.  Felt just as snug.  All was good.

All that being said, I don't know why you couldn't use the shelf pin idea to hold up a sheet of plywood to support the mattress.  The Wood plans have you use threaded inserts at each crib corner.  Then their mattress spring bolts to those inserts.  I would use something beefier than just shelf pins, though.  Maybe something like a corner bracket that is both secured to the plywood sheet and the threaded insert in the crib.  Kids will jump around in the crib and you wouldn't want the plywood to pop loose.

We didn't use blankets in our kids' cribs until they were able to walk--I think.  Until then, the crib just had the fitted sheet, then a crib sheet which was strapped to the crib slats, then the kid.  Kids slept in warm onsies and the room was supplemented with a space heater if it was especially cold.  They didn't need blankets--just what they were wearing.

The mattresses we bought were hard on one side (when they're babies) and softer on the other (when they're older).  I can't imagine the mattress springs provide any extra give.  The mattresses are pretty firm even on the soft side.

Paul