Good CAD program for a good price
This may be the wrong forum for this but it's where I think it's where it will get the most exposure.

This is a copy and past from another forum but it's easier than me typing it all out.

I was looking at current 3D cad programs available today when I ran across a notice that said the Solidworks will provide a Veteran with the Student version of their CAD program. All that is required is the Vet upload a copy of their DD-214 (blacken out your SSN). I did that. They sent me an email with a link to proceed with the purchase. Total cost $20.00. That is not a typo – Twenty Dollars!!!
Solidworks is one of the premier CAD programs and when purchased by a business will run $5000+ for the first seat. The Student version is a fully functioning 3D cad program with incredible capabilities. You do need a newer Computer 64K operating system to run it. (It took 2 hours to load.) I am stunned by the offer. If you take the time to do the tutorials provided – you will have professional CAD capabilities at your fingertips for next to no cost.
I am not associated with Solidworks in any way, shape or form.

https://store.solidworks.com/veterans/de...mand=Step1
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
Thanks for the tip.  We use CATIA at work, with lots and lots of bells and whistles to perform aeronautics-peculiar analyses.  From a pure woodworking perspective, what does Solidworks do that Google Sketchup can't do?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Ahill
I can't answer your question. I have never used it. I just saw this posted another forum and though somebody might be interested. For 20 bucks I'll probably get it just to see what it is.
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
When I was in school 10-12 years ago, all the software makers offered student editions, normally one year at a time, for deep discounts. Most of them the catch was if you printed stiff it said student version in the margins but otherwise it was the full seat. 

Id check to see if its a 365 day license....I cant imagine its open ended. But for $20 its well worth it. There are a number of tutorial workbooks on Amazon that you could work through in a few months and be really proficient.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

You can get a 3 year license of AutoCAD on the student plan for $8.95, regular price $4,195
I have been using a program called Onshape. It is a cloud based CAD program, that has a free option. The real downside to it, in the free form, is that you are limited by total storage space and that you need an active internet connection.

One of my colleagues has been using Autodesk Fusion 360. It is $300 a year for the license. He really likes it.

If you're not a student and want to try out some CAD, these are also options.
Quote:From a pure woodworking perspective, what does Solidworks do that Google Sketchup can't do?

I'm interested in seeing an answer to AHill's question, too.

(It hasn't been Google SketchUp for more than 4 years, though.
Wink )
For woodworking, sketchup is going to be more appropriate for most users.
SolidWorks is a fantastic, high-end CAD platform for professional mechanical engineering/design type work. It requires very high-end PCs to work well, and a big learning curve.
I have solidworks at work, and I really like it.  It seems like a lot of people say it's not good enough for really high-end work, but I'm not sure what the problem is.  I've been using it for 15 years, so that isn't a problem, but learning any new cad is tough.  The advantage to solidworks is that just about anything you want to know is covered by youtube videos.  Almost every seat of solidworks is sold by a reseller, so I assume the deal above is something that a particular reseller is doing.  Not sure I'm giving anyone my dd-214 even with the ssan blanked out.

I figure I would probably make my money back if I got a seat full price, but a while back they seem to have gone to a model where you had to buy many options instead of just the cad, meaning the price was 8k instead of 4k.  Not sure what a seat costs now.

They really want you to have a high-end graphics card.  Not sure it matters though.  My computers at work always have those anyway
I have a few questions for you.

It has been years since I had to work with CAD and I hope I can again the VA will love that I get it and work with it to help my brain functions.

One I do not have a fast internet connection so will they send a disc?
Second how will they take payment?

Thanks
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.