Good CAD program for a good price
Sketch up is cool for what it is, but it is a toy compared to SolidWorks. 

I have been using SolidWorks since 2003. It has all of the modeling features and a whole lot more.
For one thing, it is highly parametric, and controllably so. For example, I can create a part with four holes in the corners. I can set up those holes to be a given distance from the edges, or from the center or other criteria. Once these are set up, if I change the size of the part, the holes will move accordingly.

SolidWorks is also capable of moving parts with each other. I can, and have, modeled folding systems for a game table. I created the parts and the hinges, attached them together and then moved them in coordination to insure the sizes and movement before cutting any parts. It will also tell you if the moving parts will collide.

For most of us, there is no reason to spend the money for SolidWorks, especially when Sketchup is available, but for $20.00 I am looking for my Discharge documents.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Autodesk Fusion 360 is free for the sub 100K crowd and includes HSM CAM.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(09-05-2016, 02:35 PM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Autodesk Fusion 360 is free for the sub 100K crowd and includes HSM CAM.

I'm slowly transitioning all my SketchUp models to  F360.  It's a good tool and as Mike says is free for the enthusiast.

Would I want to do production work with it?  Not on your life. It's missing some key features that would be necessary for that.

Is it a really good tool for the enthusiast? Yes indeed.
chris
I sent in my DD214 and application last Tuesday. They responded the next day. I purchased the Student version online for $20. On Thursday I downloaded. I'm going through some of the tutorials. It's quite a bit different than SketchUp.

Thanks again.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon

(09-10-2016, 10:20 AM)dav Wrote:  It's quite a bit different than SketchUp.

It most definitely is.

Good luck on the learning.  There is a lot there.

You might want to look into online training.
chris
the great thing about Solidworks is that just about everything you want to know is covered on youtube
Dav, if you have any questions, it looks like there are plenty of folks here to help, but feel free to drop me a PM if you want.
Benny

Benny, thanks for the offer. I'll do that if I hit any major roadblocks.
>
Worse than ignorance is the illusion of knowledge.
>
The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim. - Gustave Le Bon