When to pressure wash your handtools
Still voting for the green! Though I'm fond of hammered finishes on machines.
Dark Red with yellow lettering
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-21-2016, 01:52 PM)clovishound Wrote: Paint it bright pink. NOBODY else will have one that color. It will be unique.

This.  Also a good theft deterrent.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Hmmmmm nice vise Jim good find like your car choice I was a big fan of Merc's old and new 
Big Grin. Anyhow getting back to your dilemma I like the Hammered Grey myself, more of a rustic color.  I am sure what ever you decide on it will look great, but do stay away from the Pink 
Big Grin.

Steve
(08-21-2016, 07:44 PM)tshiker Wrote: Still voting for the green! Though I'm fond of hammered finishes on machines.

Forest, Forest Green.

I repainted my vise a hammered silver, looks great and is holding up well. I bet the hammered gray would also hide pitting well. That said, now's your chance to be different!
Benny

Good looking vise! I'm sort of a vise nut. Picking one up this weekend (I hope) much like yours there and will be refurbing it. I need an extra heavy old one so I don't break the ones I have now.

I've done a few and feel particular to red, machine grey, machine blue metallic, and deep blue. The dark purple would be my guess of those colors. You'll have to look at it every day- remember that. Three coats of clear coat on top of the color you pick will make it look good, but also know that if you really use the vise, the paint is sacrificial. Take pics to see what it looked like. I use my vises and have broken a few newer ones, so I buy the older ones since they were actually made for working and are better cast steel- some forged though.
  Did these two a while back, gave the smaller one to my son.
 Had to make new jaw inserts for the one in the background.

[Image: aaadrawerstorage008_zpsdddffee8.jpg]
Kudos to you! Those are good restorations. I know what you mean about the beating. Now that my projects are getting smaller, I guess this Athol will receive gentle treatment, even though I reserve the right to bash away on it if necessary. Keep us updated on your new acquisition.

Here is a Reed vise I just finished up with yesterday.

[Image: DSCN0523.jpg]

It is from the late 1930s or 1940s and has much of its original japan finish. It was in such good shape for its age that I decided to make it look like it just came out of granddaddy's garage. I just cleaned it up a bit, straightened the handle, and smeared a little white paint on the raised letters.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Sweet!
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Cool Oh yeah, nice looking Vise.

Steve
"When to pressure wash your handtools"

One of the best thread titles ever!
Laugh