Contemporary Lounge Chair
Kudos.

The opposed grain lamination alone is worthy of display.
It's an excellent piece, far better than it has to be.
I love the design and may have to steal parts of it. I really enjoy the joinery at the head end of the lounge and may copy some of those details to the foot end as well.

thanks
(08-20-2016, 08:40 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: "I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what looked "stronger", as far as the legs went. "

I was less concerned about the apparent strength - I think they look plenty strong, and would have the other way, too.  My feeling is that the eye follows the backrest down through that line and thinks it will go all the way to the floor, and, oh look, it doesn't!  The surprise is a pleasant kick to the senses.

Interesting. My thought was that, if I continued the line of the legs upward, it would look like the back was about to slide off. Whereas, if the back lines continued down, they would look partially "hooked" by the through tenon. 

(08-20-2016, 11:40 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I am with Bill Houghton, that design element looks great. If it was me, I would force the foot legs to the same splayed angle. But, that's me. Cherry is a very attractive wood. Thanks for sharing. BTW, I will take your explanation for design at "what you say--or, show".

I will break dormancy when the lawn does, cooler weather, and venture into the wood pile. This last week has been our worst of the summer, and the AC died a week ago.

Bruce

Do you mean the front legs? I debated about them for a while--in fact, a lot of my furniture features doubly splayed legs--but I wanted the thing to appear a bit monolithic, especially the front assembly as distinct from the back; and also to represent how weight was distributed in the piece itself. The front feet, at least, in my head, take very little weight. 

I have no AC in my [Cincinnati] shop. I can't count how much many rags I went through trying to keep sweat off the cherry, which stains so easily.    

(08-21-2016, 10:46 AM)tim_leo Wrote: I love the design and may have to steal parts of it.  I really enjoy the joinery at the head end of the lounge and may copy some of those details to the foot end as well.  

thanks

Please do!