Flooded tools
Yea, as everyone indicates, time is not your friend here.

All my tools got water in the flooding after Katrina.  I'm not a WD-40 fan in general, but this it where it shines. But remember all it is doing is buying you some time.

Pretty much everything will need to be disassembled, cleaned out and lubricated with a real oil.  I like silicone spray, but that's me.

Even my Bosch variable speed router was saved.

Good luck and remember that you will get through this.

cheers,
chris
The silicon sprays used to use one of the trichloro's (trichloroethane, truchloroethyline, or the like) as the propellant. I am not sure what they are using now.

I used to be real fan of silicon spray on my ski boots until the boots started literally falling apart because of the silicon spray propellent.

With any of the sprays, read the ingredients and the safety precautions. Some of them are flammable and some are very bad on plastics  or on your lungs if you huff too much (although they are wonderful on metal).

Don't forget your hand tools and vises, too. Planes and socket chisels dry faster when disassembled.

If you can get your cast iron dry, then slathering on a thick coat of Johnson's original paste wax can buy time. You do not have to buff it out right away.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
silicon spray can cause fisheyes in finishes, so I try to avoid them
You should definitely find a friend who lives a few hours north who has a shop where you could store your tools. After you restore them that is.
Thanks for the advice everyone.  Flood was worse than I first thought and I've been out of my house now for 10 days and there is still 2.5 feet in the shop.  I won't be able to check on everything for another week at least.
(08-27-2016, 11:03 PM)enutees Wrote: Thanks for the advice everyone.  Flood was worse than I first thought and I've been out of my house now for 10 days and there is still 2.5 feet in the shop.  I won't be able to check on everything for another week at least.

Yikes.

LOML's uncle was able to get in his house last week. He had about 42" in the house.

Luckily they have places to stay while the house is in rehab.

Note to all out there in this situation:

DO NOT LIVE IN THE HOUSE WHILE YOU ARE REHABBING!

We  had a neighbor in Slidell who was on her third rehab from a flooded house.  All were two story homes so they stayed upstairs. Near the end of the completion she developed a persistent cough.  Diagnosis indicated stage 4 lung cancer.  He doctors indicated that it was a direct result of prolonged exposure to dust/mold/whatever in the air present during the rehab. She was gone 6 months later 
Angry

Good luck with your rehab.  BTDT.

chris
(08-27-2016, 11:03 PM)enutees Wrote: Thanks for the advice everyone.  Flood was worse than I first thought and I've been out of my house now for 10 days and there is still 2.5 feet in the shop.  I won't be able to check on everything for another week at least.

Aggggg, I feel for you and your family. Tough times.  Persevere.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Wd-40 = Water Displacement 40th formula. It literally was used to combat water messing with engines and contact points in the war. My father saved my butt once before I realized how useful it was when I thought I had ruined the electrical harness on a friends classic muscle car (I pressure washed his engine and wanted to gift him a full detail job and the. It would not start :/)

Bob V is one of the best machine restoration guys out there, hes modest but free with his knowledge and you should take his advice.

Get a few aerosol cans and a couple gallons of it.

My condolences on the flooding, a nightmare I have not personally dealt with.

Michael
Every day find time to appreciate life. It is far too short and 'things' happen. RIP Willem