How to Stabilize Bark on a Live Edge
A young lady wants a wedding cake platter made from a pine tree trunk.  I cut and flattened a piece about 3" high and 20" diameter.  How do I stabilize the bark on the piece?  Brush on epoxy?  Spray on shellac?  Spray on 3M Type 77 adhesive?  This is not fine woodworking.  It just has to make it through the wedding reception.  Note: The cake will not set directly on the platter.  Apparently, there is a plastic tray that holds the cake.  The 3" trunk is just decorative.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
I would go with the epoxy, maybe the pour on resin used for bar tops. bark does have a tendency to flake off.
Is the bark loose in places?  What about some glue or epoxy then secure with a pin nailer around the sides.  They will not show.
Bill
Like the pin nailer idea, with a bit of superglue in some places and a pin it should pretty much stay put.