My first bowl
My first bowl.

I have no idea if I did it right, and it is nothing fancy, but I'm pleased with the results.

Maple.  I used a bowl screw to turn a 1/4" tenon on the blank and then rough out the outside.  Then I chucked it and hollowed it out.  Let it sit to warp, Then put put it off. Put it off some more. Finally. After I got it finished I wasn't sure how to hold the bowl to remove the chuck tenon.  Finally I folded up a rag and put it in the bowl for padding and pressed it against the chuck with the tailstock.  It took me a while to recenter it, but after that it seemed to work OK as long as I took really light cuts.  I made the bottom just slightly concave to it would sit on the outside edge instead of wobbling.  I finished it with some beeswax, so it smells really great.

[Image: First%20Bowl_zps7iwn05ds.jpg]
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Not the best picture but the bowl looks great from what I can see. Nice transition from side to bottom and no tearout. Good job!
Steve K

Initially I did have some tearout.   I thought it would sand out.  Nope.  Then I decided my bowl was still too thick, so I sharpened my tools and thinned it out some more and took really light cuts the last little bit.  It seemed to work.
There are two kinds of people: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring - Carl Sagan
Very nice. MUCH better than my first bowl.

I look forward to seeing more.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I like the grain in it, nice job. Now make another.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
You did a wonderful job and can be proud of it!!!
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Great first attempt.  Sign and date the bottom.  A couple of years from now, you'll be amazed at the difference.  Yet, you'll still be proud of your first bowl.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
U use a compression chuck for turning the bottoms of bowls
[Image: IMG_1354.jpg]